xs650 charging system how-to

Brian Durk sent in this helpful video a couple weeks ago. I was waiting to post it until I had time to put together a wiring schematic I’ve been working on buttt youno, I have been busy..  So here it is. Thanks Brian..

xs650 Chopper – Bobber wiring your charging system. DO NOT waste money buying a “chopper wiring” diagram online and more importantly, use parts you probably have laying around. I’ve done the struggling and managed the frustration for you. Here is my video on how to wire a charging system to your yamaha xs 650 twin motor. It’s very simple and I hope it will come in handy.

If you have tci, follow directions as recommended. If you have points, still follow directions as recommended. If it doesn’t work, then refer to this video to potentially get you out of a jam).

Un-grounding the brushes is not always necessary in every wiring scenario. The ungrounded brush assembly is specific to wiring a stock tci reg/rec to a points motor.

If you don’t unground the brush, you won’t pull a charge (generally you aren’t likely to damage anything if that is your concern)

Brian Durk – Minnesota

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

Brat-ad
zombie
xscharge
Hugh-Ad-2

26 Responses to xs650 charging system how-to

1. Brian June 30, 2009 at 7:22 am #

sweet tech video man, I am also in MN and currently in the process of building my bike, your video definetly helped. Thanks

2. Jack RollinS June 30, 2009 at 3:48 pm #

Hey Minnesota boys, any of you heading out to Sturgis this summer?
    I also live in MN and would love to see some representing of the XS…

3. rob July 6, 2009 at 9:39 am #

Great video brother. I have a ’75 that is 98% complete. the only thing holding me back is the wiring. Completely frustrated and over my head. Your vid is super easy to follow but my rec/reg was removed and a Martek elec start was added before i bought the bike. How do i wire it up. HELP…

4. Todd Coen July 6, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

Will this same wiring set -up work with a boyer ignition on a 1977 stator? Would the nylon washer be needed? Also what gauge wire did you use?
    Todd

5. beau July 9, 2009 at 6:18 pm #

hey man great video u really helped me a hole bunch i got an 81 xs 650 i,m building and i was wondering if any one knew if there was a video or would make a video BRIAN that shows how too wire up my points and coils to get fire back to this bike withh the less amont of wire.s … thats all this site really is to cool i will be posting pics of my project soon right know the frame is hanging from the roof of my buddys garage thanks again

b
    e
    a
    u

6. Hugh July 9, 2009 at 7:44 pm #

Beau…

If you want the simplest ignition system on the planet, check out Pamcopete’s stuff. 3 Wires, and you are up and running… I’m running his system on my re-phased engine, and I have no complaints, and even less wiring!!

7. stemsk8 July 10, 2009 at 12:16 pm #

nice how to vid. where did you get your 4mm nylon screws? i’m going to give this a shot on my 77.

8. W.Cooey October 16, 2009 at 1:51 pm #

SUPER Video! Simple, to the point, nuttin’ but the stuff! Was lookin’ for Triumph tech, but this’ll help on my next XS proj. If you do the Turn Sigs be sure to post!

9. John Telvin December 26, 2009 at 8:36 pm #

Hi, nice video for the 650. easy to follow. my question, i have a 1977 xs 500 and wish to wire the same way. i believe the brush set-up is different. any help would be great. thanks, John –

• Cd August 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

Did u ever get that 500 wired if so could u let me have the diagram

10. Mike April 1, 2010 at 10:17 pm #

Do i have to replace stator screws with nylon ones on a 1982 xs 650 engine with factory electronics? stupid question but i have no idea what im doing. Also his video doesnt show the headlight or taillight wiring. Where do they hook up? ahhhhh! Can anyone help please?

11. freedom April 1, 2010 at 11:33 pm #

Mike getting frustrated doesn’t do anything. This wiring setup is for a custom bike not stock.

12. Mike April 2, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Im sorry not factory electronics, I dont really know what im talking about. so please bear with me. I was just under the impression that there was something different goin on in the stator assembly on the 80s bikes than the 70s bikes. This is my first build and im totaly ready for wiring and im stuck. ive been trying to figure this out for two weeks now and just now seem to be on the right track. so do I need to unground the brushes on a 82 or no? whats the difference between the older motors and the newer ones? Does my bike have points in it? when i said factory electronics I just meant that the wires coming out of the motor have never been changed.

Thanxs Freedom

13. Ted April 2, 2010 at 3:35 pm #

@ Mike Okay, “impression that there was something different goin on in the stator assembly on the 80s bikes than the 70s bikes.” You are correct. There are a number of differences in the xs between 79 and 80 forward. The 1982 YOU have does not have points, it has a electronic ignition box. This means that this particular wiring article will apply to you if you are re-wiring your bike. Click on the wiring diagram and then print it off and bring it with you to your shop. Then follow each wire like you were following a map with driving directions. Start with one component and work your way through.

“Also his video doesnt show the headlight or taillight wiring.” If there’s two wires coming out red and black. The red wire goes to your battery or to a switch than your battery. The black wire goes to ground. You should just go to the library and pick up a book on motorcycle electronics. Then, you’ll have a basic understanding and will be able to wire your bike and your buddies will call you for help.

It’s hard to give electronic help because there’s a chance that your wires are different colors than stock and they also have different wires for each year and I don’t have any of that memorized nor do I plan to. I hope that this helps a little.

14. Mike April 3, 2010 at 2:00 am #

Thanx a bunch Ted. This info has been very helpfull. Do you happen to know what ungrounding the brushes actually does?

15. Mike April 3, 2010 at 2:37 am #

iI mean with having an eletronic ignition will i still have to unground brushes to pull a charge or no? Brian says its not always neccesary.

Thanx again

16. Tim April 14, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

im having the same problems mike. does anyone know if u have to unground the brushes on a 1982 with tci. Also I cant get spark back to my motor. does anyone know of a coil wiring diagram. I have a red green and black wire coming from my pickup. do i just hook those up to the coil? any help is greatly appreciated!

17. Tim April 14, 2010 at 6:28 pm #

Do I have to wire my ignition box back up?

18. Rick Castor February 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

I am having trouble finding 4MM nylon screws, any suggestions where I can find them. Easiest wireing job I have ever seen. Thanks

19. Rick February 26, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

Found 4mm nylon screws at smallparts.com Comes in a pk of 100 for $9.

20. sean from boston April 2, 2011 at 8:48 am #

wow great tech article

21. Alan June 4, 2011 at 2:27 am #

Is there anyone that makes a wiring system that’s just a plug in and go? 81 xs650. Ignition, elec starter, front light, tail light and break light

22. Dave @Chaparral Cycle August 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

Great video. This should solve the problem with the ’72 custom we have in the shop. Where can we get the Rec/Reg? Tried one source & they are out. Thanks for you help.

23. Jeff October 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

I have a 79 650 special chopper but would like to wire the electric start back up. Was wondering if there is a simple wiring diagram I could get.

24. mookie November 17, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

IF i understand this correctly then BOTH the brush wires from the stator are tied TOGETHER and switched.i’ve watched it a few times and that is what i get.
    yes? no ? yall hope me!

25. Scott January 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

great video! i was wondering if anybody could help me figure out why i have power going to the rec/reg combo, but no power coming out???? charging issue? thanks