Budget Built Bobber

Budget Built Bobbernoid img 3751 1 1024x768

Write about your XS650.: I wanted to build a basic no-nonsense bobber. The kind any Joe with a small amount of money could build. Picked up a descent running 79 XS650 for $800. Stripped it down in one night. Cut the back half of the frame off and took it to Koolkraft to have the hardtail welded up. Made the seat out of scrap. Fake oil can is made out of a Sugar tin I picked up at a Dept. store. Lights and turn signals are from an auto store. Exhaust was scrap given to me from a muffler shop. Not much else to it. I have less than $1,500 total in the bike now and I love it. In a sea of Harleys, this cheap old school bobber gets all the looks. And sounds great too!

Budget Built Bobbernoid bt650w

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

Brat-ad
Hugh-Ad-2
zombie
hinge

Comments

1. Will says:

Great Bike! Inspires me a lot to start a xs 650 project next year! I think bikes like these should be more apreciated than stock Harleys.

I hope to post my bike next year!

2. Keith Allibone says:

You said it man. Its all about building for less, with less. You think these guys who started choppin bikes back in the day had $15,000 to work with? Hell nahhh. Im felling the free exhaust and the tin you used for your electronics. I painted my frame and tank with dollar store flat black and got my belt for my battery at the good will store. I got a piece of scrap pipe for my wiring box. Im all about buildin the price saver way.

3. Ted says:

Did you Photoshop the first picture or did you shoot it on a white background first than Photoshop the picture? The picture and bike turned out nice.

4. Mukes says:

That bike is sick, I love it it all flows really well, the exhaust and engine look great in that frame and the bars fit is nicely.
    If it were mine I would I would flat black the rear of the headlight bucket, and tuck it back a little and call it a day.

5. Bryan Towse says:

Ted,
    I just cut the bike out of the background and added a little shadow in PhotoShop. Nothing on the bike has been PhotoShopped though. Thanks for the comments.

6. shane says:

I just picked up a yamaha maxim for helping a guy fix his drywall,. It’s an 83 model and I plan on making a custom bobber out of it. I have never owned anything but a crotch rocket but I have went crazy over this style of bike, thanks to pictures like yours! You did an excellent job, that is an awsome looking bike.

7. Ash says:

Ok…so this is the sickest and cheapest build I have seen so far. I have always wanted a bobber and have ZERO experience riding. I need this bike! Can you tell me exactly what you did to make this look! You can email me at dongerman5000@yahoo.com Thanks!!!

8. ashar says:

bro it is a beautiful bike im lovin it would u tell me how much total u spent on this bike plz.

9. Nick says:

Hey I love the bike, I am coming back from Iraq in a few weeks and need a project bike to work on. I have never built one before, but the bobber you made is absolutely what I am looking for. I had the same question as ash had as far as you did to make your bike look the way it does. I love it!

10. Bryan says:

Thanks for the comments. Sorry I haven’t been here for awhile. I sold the bike and have regretted it ever since. I will be building another just like it as soon as I can find a cheap doner.

11. artie says:

hey .. nice bike!… i’ve got an 82 maxim 400 that i’ve been slowly working on… got any websites you’d recommend for aftermarket goodies like turn signals, headlight, seat or foot pegs… anything really… i’ve been doing quite a bit of research in finding great vintage and rat looking parts but nothin that’s really stuck out…

also what size air filter do you run in it… if you’ve got any more pics you’d be willing to e-mail let me know.. thanks!

artie

12. Hayden says:

What frame did you use for this bike?

13. G. Philip Coci says:

Where can I get my hands on the 650 engine? I want to stat a bobber project.

14. Blake Mayer says:

I have a 650 motor, I live in STL.

15. MALLOY says:

amazing…great job! I like the fact that its definitely on the budget!!! i could not afford the $20k bikes. Love to have something like your bike. Any other builds out there please post!