Raw and simple

Raw and simpleRaw and simpleriding r1

Stripped and cut in half.

I saw a bobber sitting outside a tattoo shop in Austin, TX and fell in love. That same day I went home and spent hours researching how to build one for myself. I’ve never even riden a motorcycle let alone built one. I’ve been building and modifying cars for years and knew i had the skills to take on the project.

Raw and simplenoid bob

Raw and simplenoid bobber

After some weeks of searching on craigslist i found a running ’81 about a hundred miles from me. Borrowed a friends truck and went to pick up what will eventually be what you see now. I spared no time, with in a week of owning it the motorcycle was stripped and cut in half. The build took me about a month from start to finish, learning as i went.

Raw and simplenoid burn out

Raw and simplenoid standing next

As the bike was getting close to being complete i realize i dont really know how to ride it. Took a motorcycle class and got my liscense the same week i finished it.

Not too bad for a 20 year old…

cassio silva

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

zombie
Brat-ad
hinge

Comments

1. Dave says:

Where did you find that tank at? is it one from tc bros

2. cassio says:

Dave the tank was from ebay, just a generic peanut tank nothing fancy. had to do a little banging and grinding on the frame but it fit like a charm!

Cassio

1. johnny says:

Hey Cassio, what color is the paint job, i looks like copper almost…or maybe im just color blind.

3. Iain says:

Hey Cassio, nice build, what bike did the 19 & 18 inch wheels come from?

4. Shane Ryans says:

Nice build I like the simple yet great look of it all.

5. cassio says:

Iain, the front wheel is the factory Heritage model wire wheel. The rear I sourced from a xs400. And yes 19f 18r.

6. Yale says:

Cassio – awesome bike! I was looking for a bike to play with and came across this whole xs650 phenomenon. I have been totally intrigued by the whole thing and want to build my own. I have no experience with bikes but pretty handy with access to plenty of tools and welding equipment. Your bikes looks really clean and simple, very much my taste. Any tips before I dive in? PS – Your right, “not bad for a 20 yr old.”

7. gilly says:

Great job! Well done! what stretch and drop is the hard tail?

8. Chump says:

Looks cool nice and simple only dislike to this bike is the fact that its like every other bike on here a simple style but yet looks so elligent sad to hear you sold her keep riding brother and stay verticle.

RIDE FAST RIDE FOREVER.

9. mike lytle says:

I can’t believe i just read all 88 comments on this thread!! what is sad about the thread is that it seems like what happened here is a sort of mind set that could change what i think this site is about and turn it into , only post something different site. a “TC bro’s” hardtail and p’nut tank will therefor not be worthy of posting… the trouble with that logic is each bike built, to it’s builder is a worthy creation, at least to the builder, is unique to his area most likely and for some there first build. something to be very proud of. Ted has done a very noble thing creating this web site, it’s worth imeasurable!! to off handlely put down a build just because it’s been done before, shameful!! building a bike, whatever it is , is worthy. to think otherwise is self destructive, beause at some point no one will be able to build a “WORTHY” bike!!

1. franco says:

well said, this is a great site and all the posts deserve some respect

10. Ted says:

@ mike lytle – Thanks – well said. I read all the comments to.

11. mike lytle says:

if your the Ted that created this web site……..then thankyou for the thankyou, but mostly for the web site, as I said it’s worth is imeasurable!!!!!!!!! my curent build will be absolutly better for seeing all the other builds on these pages………thankyou, mike

12. misfitskinny says:

wow !!! I just read all of this too. Great thread, good discussion!! I guess I can see all points of view from AB, Jeff, Mr. Carmony and of course Mike lytle, Etc… Sometimes its hard to keep your mouth shut and thaughts to urself, it is for me.I’m 45 years old and would seem like a 20 year old. Started off in the 6th grade taking drafting, wanted to be an arcutect. Took drafting all through middle school and high school( 2 year vocational) Ended up with an interest in engineering by the time I had graduated. Got lucky and got a job in a Plastic injection Molding place( machine shop that makes steel molds that make plastic parts) Boss liked my work ethics and paid and sent me to vocational school for machine shop, Welding and Shop math ( which is trigonometry) Did all this while working and serving apprenticeship( journey man, tool maker) Finished it all up then decided I wanted something more. Got a grant then went to college for 4 years, studied Art and Mechanical Engineering. Got out desided to be a Tattoo Artist, Did this for about 12 years straight and still do off and on. Somewhere along the way I was watching the boob tube and seen a guy by the name of Jesse James pounding out some raw steel and making something artistic and beautiful out of nothing. I new right then that this is what I had been looking for all those years. Something you could put everything that you are into and create something That was practical, useful, Artistic, Creative Etc….. all in one. I guess my point is, if there is one, is that my first builds were alot like Casio’s. The stuff I’m doin these days is alot more funky but not any better perhaps than the stuff I did years ago that was just raw and simple. If I wanted to just make a living building bikes maybe I would do just that ( make em raw and simple) I still love em no matter what. I love seeing people build something no matter how good, crazy or simple it may be. I am still learning after all these years, which seems like yesterday as I am remembering back, thinking, where has it all gone so fast.To me It is not about the money or who is best builder, there is room in this big world of life in it’s devine shortness for all of us. Some sell for more and some sell for less, but it, in all ,is all about the art or just making something to be as safe as you can to ride around on and have a good time.. By the way Cassio welcome to the wonderful world of bike bike building. You did a great job on your build weather it be the first or last it will always be apart of your life even after you sold it. Someone is out there riding something you made having a blast, congradulations. Thanks to Ted for creating this website. It has been a great inspiration to alot of people including me. Cant wait to see whats next to come from the younger generations of bike builders. Guys like Cassio keep me feeling young and on my toes.

13. mike lytle says:

Misfitskinny, your skills are many, your talent as a builder, without question. Your point of view is well taken and I personally agree with it!! building a bike is more than the finished product, it is an expression of a persons soul. it is a confidence builder for the first timer, and mostly it is in our DNA. life just isn’t complete without a project, something to think about, finding that right part, making the build flow…seeing it to completion. for those of us that have spent a lifetime building things or those who have chosen to tackle their first build the sense of worth you get can not be equaled any other way…there may, infact, be more worth in a first time “TC Bro” hardtail and a peanut tank build, than Jessie James gets when he builds a $150,000 bike!!!! I am with Misfitskinny and say let’s encourage the young builder as much as we can, they are the future of our culture, a culture that can look at a pile of crap, and see something beautiful lying just under the surface, and know with a little hard work, some time and thought, a cool-ass chooper will be born…..let the na-sayers- say there’s always a few hidin out behind the wood pile I gave up payin much attention to um years ago..so to all the old builders and especially the new builders Rock-On with whatever you choose to build!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. misfitskinny says:

Well said Mike Lytle. I agree 100%, especially part about me lol. My hats off as well to the great builders that got me started, that many people call sell outs these days, like Jesse James and Arlen Ness. I only wish I had there skills and ability or opportunity to sell out like they have. They were just guys like us who started off small with alot of dreams and skill, got recognized, became successful. Oh, and Billy Lane, Indian Larry. Im sure theres some guy on this site, or there will be one day, that may be the next Billy Lane. For me, I am happy and content with my little building, in my little shop, trying to create something different that someone, hopefully many, will appreciate. I already Know that some will like, and some will not, its just like politics. So to all the builders out there wether there a beginner, serious, part time, or old school Like the legendary Mike Lytle and myself lol, keep on buildin whats in your head and don’t worry about what others say. I would suggest that if your trying to get alot of attention from a built, that you try and create something with good lines, shape, and something that when you pull up to a stop light people will have there little camera cell phones out sayin ” what the f*^k is that. lol By the way I have a new line of hand tooled leather seats I make and sell, at a great price for all you builders out there that want a 1 off seat.

15. chris says:

Every time I swing by xs650copper.com I always find my way back to this page, the aesthetics of this bike are so clean and simple… Defiantly one of my favorites.

16. Ted says:

The photography helps!

17. rich mccann says:

Thats an awesome looking bike. You should be proud of yourself to have the skills to build and ride at 20 years old. You could have a promising future as a bike builder…or with that kind of attitude you could accomplish just about anything you want to.

18. Shane says:

Nice clean build I like the paint job as well. thanks for sharing

19. Nippy says:

Nice bike, simple, solid design but nothing really original. It’s the photography that does it, those Photoshop vignettes work wonders Well done.

20. pablo dragon says:

man no matter what people said.. this is what made me wish to start a proyect! im 24 and i dont have a lot of time,but i hope i can finish this before my 25th birthday june! wish me luck!

21. pablo dragon says:

22. pablo dragon says:

23. DENNI$ says:

11 months should be enuff time!!

24. Moustachio says:

Is there anyway to get ahold of this guy anymore? His blogger hasn’t been updated in 8 months and the email I found on it is dead. Wanted to ask some questions about what frame/tail and forks and such were on the bike (unless someone else knows just by sight).

25. stan says:

what kind of tires?

1. Mark says:

Firestone replicas

26. Mark says:

I’m dieing to know what fake oil bag that is!!?? Anyone?

27. Cassio says:

Wonderful to see that people are still finding inspiration in my beater. Maybe I’m not inspiring innovation and creativity as much as some of the more extensive builds on this site. This bike will never win a bike show or receive a magazine feature but I think it’s beauty is in the feeling I received from working with my hands. There’s pride in creation and I think many have looked to this bike and my story and It has inspired them to create something of their own.

This bike has been long gone for years now, and I’m sure one day I will forget what it even looked like. However what I felt the day that I strapped my helmet on and rode it for the first time, that I will never forget.

28. Pim says:

Hi, nice bike
    How are the foot pegs mounted to the frame ?