Warning: Missing argument 1 for woo_bws_excerpt_more(), called in /home/xs650cho/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas-bws/functions.php on line 47 and defined in /home/xs650cho/public_html/wp-content/themes/canvas-bws/functions.php on line 34

BHALL’S 79 xs650 TCU BBO leaf springer

BHALL’S 79 xs650 TCU BBO leaf springerxs650 chop noid IMG 2593 587x391

79 xs650  TCU BBO leaf springer spit wassell tank i’m not sure what to call it yet bike?

So late 2009 I had a few spare parts laying around that gave me an idea. A beatup wassell tank that I got from my friend Scotty kinda started this whole bike in my head. I thought it would be cool to split in in half and run a back bone through it and then a couple months later I decided to enter in the tcu build off. which is a forum with a bunch of cool people that build awsome stuff. So around Dec  I called my friend MikeD from biltwell inc and told him what I was planning on doing and like always he hooked me up with a nice goodie box (Thanks Mike). And around the same time I talked my friend Dirty Jason (whom my daughter named ).. haha.. out of a 79 xs650 neck and engine.

BHALL’S 79 xs650 TCU BBO leaf springerxs650 chop noid IMG 2577 587x391

the build off started Jan 1 so I started building my frame from scratch I have a few tools like a nice tig, lathe and a good tubing bender .. even the big tree in my back yard came in handy for bending those big arches on the frame. I got most of the frame done in about a week working late nights after my 9 to 5 and durring my 2 year old’s naps. Then I started on the forks my idea was to build a classic looking leaf only way narrower I didnt have any real plans or drawings except in my head.

BHALL’S 79 xs650 TCU BBO leaf springerxs650 chop noid IMG 2597

My friend Greg (also in the tcu bbo) let me burn up a bunch of hours on his mill making my trees and a few odds for the forks. I built a jig for the forks and had them done in a few days. so in a month I pretty much had a good solid roller… then this build kinda stalled for a few months.. I got a new job a couple of new projects and the build went on the back burner until 3 weeks ago when i realized that the deadline for the build off was comming fast.. In the last 3 weeks my wife and kid have barley seen me.

BHALL’S 79 xs650 TCU BBO leaf springerxs650 chop noid IMG 2603 587x391

BHALL’S 79 xs650 TCU BBO leaf springerxs650 chop noid IMG 2608 587x391

I have been working and building all the small thing for the bike like controlls gas caps and bung ect.. seems like I built every single thing on this bike from scratch. well not everything but alot of it..so just in time for the deadline here it is…anyway there is a whole thread on thechopperunderground.com along with a bunch of nice other bikes (not all xs650’s) to look at. I think voting is gonna open soon so go there and vote for your favorite one.

Here is a link to the build off and here is a link to my build thread on the thechopperunderground.com. Also some build pictures and some of the stuff i have been doing on my blog… www.kstreetgarage.blogspot.com if you want to check it out also.. I am about to have a few bolt on xs650 narrow springers done and up for sale.

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

Brat-ad
zombie
Hugh-Ad-2

Comments

1. Rusty Nutz says:

Whoa I’ve liked the droopy short window bars for some time. You have used them tastefully in a tasty build. Looks like you’ve made great strides in the style department for all builders to hate you for. I’m sure lots of people will be borrowing from this build.

Is BHALL a garage dog or an artist? You decide.

2. coby138 says:

really nice can i have it

3. Voodude says:

Really like the lines, the design was well thought out. One of the best on this site.

4. darren lindemann says:

great bike i love th look great job!!!

5. Lang says:

That bike’s a real class act. It’s been fun watching your build. Good luck in the voting (not that you’ll need it :) )

6. Dead Ed says:

sickest yet keep it up and what does it cost for a springer like that? love every bit of this bike!!DEad ED! in texas!

7. BreWV says:

I think it’s really cool that you said “go there and vote for your favorite one” instead of asking for votes for your own bike.

8. Godamighty I LOVE IT!!!!…..Just pure beautiful motorcycle…

9. jeff says:

thats really nice. kinda looks like a Dave Cook bike. great job

10. The frame is such a work of art…- I would love to see you win the contest with nothing more than two wheels, an engine, and a gastank mounted on a Perfectly Ballanced Perfectly Designed FRAME.
    …..In other words, winning the contest with pure design integrety and concept…- Straight steel that you bought by the pound, cut bent and welded…designing and fabricating within the boundries of Genuine Deffinitions…
    That is what I see in Bikes like Cream XSsssss, and Sotter Fae Scotland, and other bikes where the builder holds himself to rules and principals within boundries, and to requirements of Genuine Deffinitions….
    It is fun to just take a rear wheel and let the design go to where ever it winds up…-sort of like dating a girl with tattoos and piercings, and purple hair…-It is also fun to play Headbanger Music without having to go to all the hassel of having to actually learn to play guitar….(Well…- IT IS….)
    But motorcycles like this one give the rest of us Something To ASPIRE TO…..- for as the saying goes, “- it is better to aim at Something, – and Miss, – Than to aim at Nothing…- and Hit….”

11. trent reker says:

i’ve always liked the high backbone over the tank style. clean ride, man. good luck!

12. JonathonD says:

Absolutely amazing, what a great looking bike good job

13. REEB says:

nice and clean. one off to boot

14. reynoldburton says:

Again another favourite bike for me….it´s an absolute beauty!!

15. Alex says:

wow, I honestly do not think there is anything I dislike… everything fits and looks perfect together. great job

16. Joe says:

Great job, Bryan. I saw that you plan to offer springers for sale. Sign me up! Are you planning to offer a leafer?

17. Jeff says:

Totally Killer … I love it.

18. R Rule says:

Yeah man you really out did yourself on this, hopefully your holding on to this one i’d like to hit the road with ya and see it up close, hit me up the next time your ride with it.

19. armand says:

I’d like what you did with the fuel tank. the handlebar not so much and footcontrols…what is your problem with puttin foward!!

20. Bryan Hall says:

Thanks for all the nice compliments, I’m glad you guys like it.

Hey Joe for now I am just gonna do a few reagular springers.. they should be ready to go in a few weeks.

Russ were gonna do a ride and camp out to Beldontown CA(about 100 miles from sac) for my 30th bday if you want to go … aug 28 and 29. Everyone is invited…. there are already 20 or more bikes going and a crash truck to pick up the pieces that fall off on the way.. it should be a great ride up the feather river canyon..

21. Steve says:

Really like this ! Very Very cool looking bike !

22. Blacksmithbilly says:

Just clean ,good looking machine!
    super fabwork and style

Great job Bryan

23. ritzkraker says:

ladies and gentlemen … we have our winner … bike is fuckin badass … if u need a place to put it .. i have a spot at my house for it =o) … awesome job man … im sure the wife will 4give u … but if she doesnt and cant stand the site of the bike , drop me a line we can work a deal im sure …

24. willem says:

Though I’m not a fan of the front fork, I do like the lines of the bike. What a beauty!
    Almost found a donorbike to start building my own bobber but the owner didn’t want to sell in the end. So I’m hoping to be able to put my pictures on this site spring next year….
    Greetz y’all!

25. Tebo says:

Holy Cripes ! Bryan, that is one sick-ass skinny bike. You got some narrow alleys in your neck of the woods? It’s so.. I’m just..wow, speechless. The forks are way cool. Much love. Good luck at the BBO.

26. JungleBiker says:

I enjoyed following this build on the TCU. You’ve done a great job on this and given me some ideas for future builds. Any idea what kind of price you might be selling springers for?

27. JungleBiker says:

BTW, what are your air filters made out of?

28. chevy53 says:

this bike is cool i dont know where to start. good work man

29. Nathan D says:

I love the lines. Everything fits.

30. shawn says:

bad ass bike…

31. REEB! says:

Does the front end ride like Springer? Or worse?

32. Bryan Hall says:

Hey Jungle, thanks. I think I also will be stealing some ideas from your build. I wish you would have made it in time .. The air filters are old westcoast flame arestors off of a jet ski.

Sorry for the confusion, the springers that I am building are gonna be a regular type narrow springer. I’ll have some pictures and info on my blog soon. I have no idea what I am gonna sell them for yet but they will be complete with bearings and races, stem, hardware etc.. a direct bolt on for an XS650.

REEB, The leaf springer that is on this build rides like a rigid right now because the spring is way to stiff so I won’t know until I get it all sorted out

33. Lefty says:

Excellent job pal, you nailed it and I hope you win. I’m all to familiar with trying to piece together a bike while a toddler(two actually in my case) naps. Praying your don’t wake them up with the grinder, hoping they sleep for just ten more minutes while you try to mount carbs. It adds a whole new light to the build process. Nice job. What did you use for a triple tree offset? It looks like they are slightly ahead of your neckpin. And do the points where your rear tube sections pass through the trees run a straight line with your axle?

34. CrazyTony says:

That is one Bad-ass Bike! Mean and lean.. Beautiful job!

35. Baker83 says:

That bike is bad ass! Even better u built it from scratch. I have a lot of respect for that. Im buildin a 70 xs right now. I been watchin your builds and totally dig ur style. Keep it up bro.

I live in Sac too well in Orangevale, I will keep an eye out for ya.

Good shit

36. Shawn Dennis says:

woow!! shes a beautiful peice of artwork. i love xs’s becouse they are a real great way to express yourself, and this bike speaks for it self…… helluva job.

37. BLACKWIDOW says:

Nice bike really different

38. Missal says:

Too cool to be an XS. Outshines the rest.

39. Bryan Hall says:

Baker we are usualy riding around roseville on tue nights we meet up at rubios on douglas and then from there to wherever.. your more than welcome to meet up and ride with us .. also if you need anything for your build let me know..

voting ends tonight at midnight !!!!

40. Hans from Holland says:

Superb bike!!! nice&neat.

41. blackchop says:

one of my all time favorites.
    i have nothing but all positive to say bout this bike.

42. Traversable says:

SWEET!!

43. Bryan Hall says:

I need a name for this bike anyone have any ideas???

44. Buddy_Lu$t says:

Awesome! I’m quite sure that you would change some things if you were to build this bike all over again… So, with that being said… How much would you sell this one for? Or, how much would you charge to have an identical one built? Thank you for your time, Mr. B. Hall.

45. Buddy_Lu$t says:

Name… Hmm… “Mr. Mac_Dink”.

46. CHAD says:

You nailed it !!!

47. Dead Ed says:

I need to start saving for one of those XS650 BHALL NARROW springers!!

48. Lefty says:

49. KING ACRE says:

CALL IT THE “BLACK BALL” BECAUSE YOU JUST MADE EVERY MOTO BUILDER LOOK REALLY BAD WITH THAT BIKE….

WHERE COULD I FIND YOUR BUILD IN MORE DETAIL?

50. Don russ says:

nice bike!

51. brett says:

maaaaaaaaan that is one bad ass bar hoppin slut magnet, nice build.

52. Broman says:

Nifty bike dude. I am not sold on the bars and the tier choice but then again it’s not my bike. The frame and tank execution is totally wicked, and I would not change them a bit. Love this bike and would ride the knobbies off it!!!

~Bro

53. Bryan Hall says:

I put these dirt tires to good use… pics coming soon to dice magazine..

54. Bryan Hall says:

Oh and Buddy_lu$t I would probably let this one go for around 5k but it would still be hard for me to let it go

55. tim says:

i agree with king acre, black ball sounds good, pretty impressive

56. Michael says:

I love those forks and the overall look of the frame. I really dig all the curves and bends. You definitely have some talent going for you there. Hope to see more of it!

57. rockin' ron says:

Love the design and balance. The leaf springer is very cool and I would buy one from you if you figure out how to get the “springer” into it.

58. Joshua Rasmussen says:

What is there not like about this build. Anybody?

59. Fabbastard says:

Great freekin job man! Do you still build those front ends and what kind of filters on the carbs? Very slick…..

60. Traversable says:

Sweet Bike! Are you still building forks?

61. El Gaucho says:

I can’t believe I haven’t posted anything on this bike, yet I’ve had this page saved to my favorites for the last year. Awesome build. This is the bike that made me want to build a leafer. Still haven’t done it though…..

62. Jon Reiland says:

I love the tank and back bone design.. Perfect!

63. Shane Ryans says:

Can’t get over the back bone design that really is nice looking.

64. Bryan Hall says:

Thanks everyone for the kind words… my bike made it in dice magazine issue 39 check it out.. I’m pretty excited about it.

65. Andi says:

Nice ride….

66. Visimpact says:

This is one of the best xs 650s ever built. I love ur bike you deserve that dice spread. Congrats man. Keep up the killer work

67. Dime_Crusher says:

???…Leaf spring out on the market yet??? Love the design! kingacre@gmail if you wanna talk bizz off the record!

68. Andi says:

Just love it… Great job…

69. M.Peters says:

That’s a killer XS.. wow

70. Chuck Jones says:

I love bikes like this. Killer build.

71. burnin-it says:

Dude any update on this bike? followed it on TCU and loved it. I keep my eyes peeled every time i ride through SAC. Best looking xs i’ve seen in a while and its not blinged out at all!

72. mike lytle says:

this build is truely worth a look!!!!!!!!!!……a very ,very nice build…..

73. stanley says:

i want your bars

74. Boon uk says:

Smokin scooter ! come to think about it not a bad name, didya see what I did, leaf- smoke no? Ok I`ll shut up. How about Zebedee as in the magic roundabout, I liked Dylan the Rabbit he was my favourite, Christ I`m hungry, I`ve got to stop smoking this stuff. Boyning time for bed.