Hans from Holland #15

xs650 chop hansprost 587x255 Hans from Holland #15

LynXS,the build up and some more details…….

Hello again fooXS,
In part #13 of this column you’ve seen my LynXS café-fighter and I promised to show some more details and xsplanation of the build up. What I did not told you in the last part is that this racer in fact is the LynXS 2, cause two years before this project I built also a LynXS café-racer. This (first) LynXS was a racer in the traditional style of the fifties and looked way more classic. So why did I make another one, well that’s quiet a story. One day a man came to my house to look at a ’75 XS650 B I had for sale at that moment, but as soon as he entered my garage he couldn’t get his eyes of the café-racer. Didn’t speak a word for a quarter or so and then came out the words; this is the one I would like to buy. He made me an offer I couldn’t refuse and a moment later the bike was gone.

xs650 chop img. blz 8 587x418 Hans from Holland #15

Next day I looked in the mirror and I really hated myself….. that day I learned the lesson some things in life can’t replaced by something unimportant like money. All my friends told me I was totally insane to sell it, and they were right, fool as I am. But….still got my head full of ideas and a pocket full of fuckin money, that day I promised all my disappointed friends to build a new LynXS. Something familiar but in another way totally different.

xs650 chop hansprost098 587x347 Hans from Holland #15

Let’s say a sort of evolution, better, lighter and faster….
Starting point was a ’77 XS frame and a long search for the right parts.
Here’s the LynXS in the mock-up after a few months.

xs650 chop IMG 0688 587x439 Hans from Holland #15

Note that the seat section of the frame is lifted by 2,5 inch to get a mean fighter look. In fact that’s the only alteration to the frame, as you can see the original swing arm is replaced by an alloy, much stiffer, one from a Suzuki 1100 Katana.

xs650 chop IMG 0760 587x439 Hans from Holland #15

Here you see them both, the alloy swingarm is wider and about two inches longer. Although the XS item is smaller it weights 3800 gram while the Suz 1100 weights 2950 gram.
Greatest advantage is much more stiffness which response in much better handling at higher speeds. In the next pic you see the swingarm polished and ready for road use,  I made a brace to make look even better.

xs650 chop IMG 2414 587x352 Hans from Holland #15

xs650 chop IMG 2373 587x439 Hans from Holland #15

Frame and wheels just back from powder coating. On top of the orange coating is a clear coat for that shiny look. Also made a spoiler out of alloy as you see here.

xs650 chop IMG 2379 587x439 Hans from Holland #15
Everything on this bike made of alloy, except for the frame. All alloy covers and brackets are made by hand, just by using a saw and file. Always liked speed-holes and the LynXS has a lot. Lightness equals speed…..

xs650 chop IMG 2393 587x439 Hans from Holland #15

xs650 chop IMG 2654 587x439 Hans from Holland #15

To give some contrast to all that bright orange I added some black parts on the LynXS.

I could have polished the upside down fork, but in my opinion it would have looked overdone, that is why it is anodised in black, which looks very distinctive. Triple trees are black powder coated and the small gauges have black housings, very nice in combination with the white pointerfaces.

xs650 chop IMG 2401 587x439 Hans from Holland #15

xs650 chop IMG 2432 587x782 Hans from Holland #15

Here’s the hopped up engine fresh installed. Choice of carburetion fell on Mikuni VM 34’s. Note the longer alloy inlets for more bottompower. The huge K&N filters are like large lampshades and look awesome. A lot of time went in the bigbore engine, almost every part is upgraded in some kind of way. To deal with all the power the oilcirculation is improved by using a bigger oilpump and an oilcooler. Also installed an ex-tern oilfilter with better specs. This is what’s hidden under the seat, a 9 amp. gelbattery, regulator, fuses and even a toolset.

xs650 chop  S3T4070 587x391 Hans from Holland #15

Incredible stopping power through two six piston calipers and two large 32cm floating discs. I can stop the bike with two fingers on it’s front wheel! A set of Battlax sporttires is installed for real race inspiration, they really do their work in fast corners. Front is a 120 and at the a 170, possible by a offset front sprocket I made.

I could talk for hours about the LynXS, but enough words on this XS. If you like see more pics of the LynXS 1 you can tell in your comment. Keep the shiny side up and keep building and riding! (and don’t spend to much time at your PC, the real world is outside, live it!!!)

Greetz, Hans.

xs650 chop hansprost7658 587x702 Hans from Holland #15

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

hinge
xscharge
zombie

16 Responses to Hans from Holland #15

1. ghostryder August 22, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

did that swingarm bolt right in? what mods did you have to do to make it work? nice bike.

2. anthony August 23, 2010 at 3:44 am #

Sickness.

3. Crazy Tony August 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm #

You should start your own company.. This is a machine everyone would want to own! I think Yamaha should bring back the XS 650 just like Triumph brought back the Boniville and put your @$$ in charge of custom projects.

4. Capt_Zoom August 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm #

Love the look. the speed holes look great and that swingarm is the bomb. As mentioned earlier…was it an easy swap or did you have to mod it a lot to make it fit?

5. Hans from Holland August 24, 2010 at 3:12 am #

The GSX 1100 swingarm is at the hinge point 23cm. wide, while a XS arm is about 21 cm. To fit the GSXer in frame you have to cut of a bit from both sides.
    You also have to make/install other swingarm bushes, or even better, install needlebearings. When you keep the passengerstep-brackets on your frame you have to bend the brackets a bit outside to get clearance for the wider arm.
    The axle has same diameter (2 cm) as the XS axle. But note that the mountingpoints for shocks are 2 cm. backwards. With original shocks the bike will be a lot lower at the rear! See pic three in this column for a solution without welding. XSee ya!

6. KsDtoday August 24, 2010 at 9:01 am #

Sick, just plain sick! I love the clutch set up!

7. Capt_Zoom August 24, 2010 at 6:36 pm #

What year GSX 1100 swing arm is that? Never seen one with the x in it before.

8. Hans from Holland August 25, 2010 at 3:34 am #

This swingarm came out a 1983 Katana 1100.

9. ksdtoday August 25, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

So what about that clutch? Is that a simple task?

10. Lefty August 27, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

I was wondering about that clutch too but am more interested in chain clearance. You said you made an offset sprocket to accept the 170. Any way we could get a look at that? How much of an offset did you put in it? What’s the most offset you’ve been able to put in a trans sprocket? Ever run a jackshaft? If so any warnings about them? Your talents and work set standards Hans. Thank you for being so forthcoming with your projects and work.

11. Gary Poh December 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

FYI…

HANS IS A AMAZING BUILDER AND I AM SURE DID A PERFECT JOB ON THE SPROCKET

I ALSO BUILD OFFSET SPROCKETS FOR THE XS650

AND I BUILD WIDE TIRE CONVERTION KITS TO LET YOU RUN UP TO 200MM ON YOUR XS650

YOU CAN VISIT MY CHEAP ASS WEBSITE FOR MORE INFO

THANKS!

12. David Powell January 2, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

Bravo!!! a work of art!.I just got introduced to the xs and have plans for my next work of art.Here in Hawaii….triumphs are rare and almost unobtainable and expensive!!!.I’m finding that the xs’s are just as potent from what I’ve seen on this site.Keep building.David

13. Thaise recepten January 3, 2011 at 5:38 am #

Prachtige bike Hans.

14. Philip Lader January 10, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

I loved the Lynxs in your #15 posting. How can I get more information? [Ich spricht ein bisschen Deutch aber haben viel vergessen!!!!!!!!!!!]
    Philip Scott Lader ,412 1/2 Vassar ST., #C
    Reno, NV. 89502
    USA
    tel. 775 379 7533

15. Ross Tuskey June 2, 2013 at 10:38 am #

Beautiful bikes Hans, can you tell me where you bought the seat / tank combination from?
    Thanks

16. Hans from Holland June 3, 2013 at 8:31 am #

hello Ross,
    Tank and seat was bought in Germany by WBO- Racing.