Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

xs650 chop DSC01776 587x440 Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

Mid control conversion.

There are a number of different foot peg configurations that work well. Most of the mid control conversion for the xs650 that I’ve seen involve bolting or welding to the bottom frame rail. I really dig having the exhaust pipes flow along the bottom rail of the frame so bolting or welding to the bottom rail wasn’t something I wanted to do. I set out to make a set of mid controls using the original pegs to look factory. I played around with a dozen different configurations before coming up with this cantilevered Mid controls setup. I have never seen anyone run anything similar to this cantilever Mid control.

xs650 chop xs650 chop DSCN1823 587x367 Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

The parts that you’ll need to do this include:

• Two rear brake pedals (which you will cut to length)
  • Two rear brake pivot arms (you will cut the arms section off and use the pivot shaft)
  • Two stock foot pegs cut off of mounting brackets.
  • Two round spacers. ( I used front wheel spacers)
  • One stock rear brake pedal.
  • One stock rear brake pivot arm.
  • One piece of thread rod with nuts and washers.

xs650 chop xs650 chop DSCN18251 587x364 Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

Here you can see all of the components arranged in the order they are put together.

xs650 chop xs650 chop DSCN2473 587x440 Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

Here the pivot shaft and round spacers are welded to the back motor mount. The pivot shaft is what holds the cut off brake pedal in place and cantilevers it around the motor.

xs650 chop xs650 chop DSCN2783 587x440 Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

Here you can see how it all comes together for a clean look. Now the foot peg is welded to the cut off brake pedal and the brake pedal mounts to the pivot shaft which is welded to the frame. The long threaded rod goes all the way through and pulls everything together.

xs650 chop DSC01776 587x440 Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

Here is the left side with the brake pedal. With this setup you can take the mid-controls off and remove the motor mount bolt so you can pull the motor. Now the exhaust can be run along the bottom rail.

The Mid controls work great and cost nothing to make but some time and salvaged parts.

xs650 chop DSC01777 587x440 Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

Checkout my custom electrical box made by Robert At Elswick Cycles.

xs650 chop DSC01758 587x440 Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

Here is an overview pic of my bike’s current state.  The bike is continuously changing. Next up on the to do list is: New rear finder, new headlight, new custom taillight, new chain, exhaust, paint ext.

Ted
Editor
www.XS650chopper.com

Mulligan-machine published a post on a much simpler way to do mid control conversion for the xs650s.

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

Brat-ad
Hugh-Ad-2
xscharge

19 Responses to Cantilevered Mid controls for the XS650

1. Grease Nipples January 4, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Finally someone has done some closeups of how the pegs mount to a hardtail.

Who did your tank? Looks like you’re going for the lean, underfed look, like a bony dog that’s been beaten too many times lol..

2. tom January 5, 2011 at 1:04 am #

and where’d you get them pipes? that is exactly what i want for my bike. how loud are they? i’m hopin for somethin in a medium volume;)

3. tom January 5, 2011 at 1:07 am #

love the bike by the way.

4. fanoboss January 5, 2011 at 7:44 am #

This has a strong taste of Japanese flavor, I FREEKIN’ LOVE THE REAR FENDER, it’s so wrong it’s RIGHT !

5. HAPPY DAN January 5, 2011 at 8:57 am #

Nice how to,Cool lookin lanesplitter

6. DADDYGCYCLES January 5, 2011 at 10:19 am #

I LIKE IT
    Going to try one on one of my rat bikes
    5 STARS MY MAN
    DADDYG

7. Bake83 January 5, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Nice! Same thing I did too!!! I like em really narrow, nothing uglier then a big fat set of rubber controls hanging out the sides rubbin on the ground.

8. Tommy January 5, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Oh suck, Mine doesnt have a hole threw it!

9. Ted January 6, 2011 at 1:59 am #

@ Grease Nipples – Robert At Elswick Cycles made both my tanks. “bony dog that’s been beaten too many times lol..” Shit, That’s my style, lean and mean.

@ tom – Thanks, the pipes are custom and are not finished.

@ fanoboss – “strong taste of Japanese flavor” Absolutely, there are so many talented builders cranking out insanely detailed bikes in Japan right now. Lots of Japanese flavor.

@ HAPPY DAN , DADDYGCYCLES , Tommy – Thanks!!

@ Bake83 – I’m trying to keep the profile as narrow as possible. It is a lot of work to make things clean and simple looking.

10. fanoboss January 6, 2011 at 8:53 am #

@ Ted, kudos for you QUICKLY responding to the comments made here. XS650 RULEZ !

11. BigJonF January 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Sweet deal man. Keeping with the vision of the chop it tradition. Make parts from other parts.

12. DADDYGCYCLES January 7, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Got one question
    Did you drill out where the ZERK is or is there a straight threw hole there because the ones i have don’t have a ZERK FITTING. I am going to look threw the junk pile because there was a KAW that had that setup on the rear pegs. KZ 750/900/1000 are close but they would have to be welded in place. I have used them then pinned them and that workd but this is much simpler.Got the old mind running here. Out to the junk pile HAHA!!!

13. bake83 January 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Hell yea thats so far my biggest problem. Minimal is key and you nailed it!!

Is that a super narrowed sporty?? Looks good

14. Grease Nipples January 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

There seems to be more interest in mids than forwards these days. Is the rider more comfortable with mids than he would be with forwards and a sprung seat?

2.) Does anybody know the name of the splined-like connector that holds the brake pedal to the shaft? Just wondering.

15. sean from boston January 8, 2011 at 11:04 am #

daddy like, lol the bike looks great and the mid controls are awesome best way I’ve seen it done and it looks super clean.

16. josh January 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

DAMN Ted! Bike has come a long way man!! If you don’t already have a painter lined up PLEASE let me know, I’d love to do it! http://www.digthelid.com

Josh
    Old School Helmets/
    Custom Paint

17. Ted January 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

@ DADDYGCYCLES – “Did you drill out where the ZERK’ Yes, I had to drill out the center. I set it up on a late, but you could easily set it up and do it on a drill press or with hand drill.

@ bake83- “Is that a super narrowed sporty??” Yes.. Thanks.

@ Grease Nipples- “Does anybody know the name of the splined-like connector that holds the brake pedal to the shaft? ” The round spacers? ( I used front wheel spacers) It is just a piece of pipe.

@ sean from boston- Thanks, It might seem overcomplicated but there were a couple of problems I was trying to overcome. I wanted to run the exhaust along the bottom rail. I did not want the controls mounted to the bottom rail. I wanted to be able to remove the motor.

@ josh – Dude, I just checked out your site and you have some killer paint combinations. It’s good to see that you are having some success with your new gig. I don’t have a plan for paint yet. I know that eventually it’ll be dripping with metal flake.

18. Justin April 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

ted thanks for posting this! well writtin article. material list, instructions, how could one go wrong? …. i will be using this setup… btw the bike looks great!

19. ed June 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

good job. anyone who has ever tried to mount mids on an xs-650 will appreciate this.it used to be the hardest part of the build………….until now. thanks!