Update.. XS Slim-First build 81′ Brat

xs650-chop-DSC_1702

XS Slim-First build 81′ Brat: Update..

This is a update on Bills Brat xs650 that was posted in the Brat section and is titled XS Slim’s first build.

Bill Goodwin = Didn’t care for the way it turned out the first time, kinda boring. So I got a ribbed fender, some killer minzee’s from Larry @ Garage Company Customs and sent my tank off to Nate @ Ardcore Choppers. The new fender mounts were the hard part since there are 4 bolts on each side and it had to be bent perfectly, total pain in the ass.

xs650-chop-R1-07167-012A

Ross at Southpaw Machine hooked me up and CNC’d my mounts. I finished it all up with brass hardware, speed holes in the case cover, green metal flake grips and a 70’s brakelight.

I’m pretty happy with the results! She is a absolute BLAST to ride.

I totally rebuilt the motor and did a rewire with a new Pamco unit. Made the pegs, shifter knob and kicker out of stainless.

xs650-chop-DSC_0009

xs650-chop-DSC_0048

xs650chopper.com = ” The fender mountains look really nice –  it looks like it’s fixed in place and doesn’t move with the swingarm –  is there any issue with the back tire rubbing?”

Yes the fender is fixed….and yes it does rub a little. I think the problem is the Rebel shocks, I’m going to try some higher quality ones and see if it helps

xs650-chop-DSC_0005

xs650chopper.com = ” What type of tires are you running?”

The rims are stock except for the black powder coat. The tires are Dunlop K70’s front and rear.

xs650-chop-DSC_0045

xs650chopper.com = “Anything else that we wouldn’t notice from the pictures?”

Larry and Spencer @ Garage Company Customs helped me out with handlebars, and the stainless exhaust, also the risers were some they had laying around. Spencers exhaust work sounds amazing.

I’m including a picture of the front wheel. While I had the wheels apart I took the hub to a friends house (Ross @ Southpaw Machine) and we turned the cast marks out of the front hub. Then after painting the center put it back in the lathe to dress up the edges of the paint.

xs650-chop-DSC_1679

Nate @ Ardcore layed down one of the coolest paint jobs I’ve ever seen. I get complimnets eveywhere I go about that tank.

BTW this XS was in the Horse this month. # 111-August. No worries on copyright, I know the photographers personally (Spencer Thomason & Ian “Big Pink” Smith) The pictures from The Horse photo shoot were taken by Spenser Thomason of Garage Company Customs here in bama, the others were taken by my buddy Ian “Big Pink” Smith.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask man, Later, Bill.

Hope you guys like the changes.

Comments

1. Idaho Jared says:

Sweet build!

2. norm younger says:

I’m not much of a brat fan but cool bike.

3. rexxis says:

Love it, one of my fav brats.
    My favorite part would have to be the drilled LHS case cover.
    I’m prolly gonna do something similar now bc of your bike.

Great ride!!!!!!!

4. dave says:

nice touch taking pictures at sandrock

5. Edgar Echevarria says:

I have a question.. . . . What things or accesories made the brat style. . . thanks

6. reynoldburton says:

Bratstyle usually comes in mind if there are rear shocks and kinked seatrails.

For real bratstyle is a Japanese shopname wich seems to be the most popular Japanese customizer for most people.

I really like this style too – most of the hardtail builds I see are much to much stretched out i.m.o. – doesn´t look right to me. But exceptions prove the rules.

This scoot is a very good example for everything done right 🙂

7. Guy says:

PRETTY BIKE.

8. Barney says:

I like the color, haven’t seen too many like that. I know exactly what you mean by the rear fender, something that should take 5 minutes to bolt on had to be messed with for a few weeks on mine. Nice fender mountains lol.

9. Hans from Holland says:

Great ride, nice details, perfect proportions !!!
    Like the matching grips for sure !!!

10. HELLBENT says:

Killer build, good job.

Great Detail Work!

12. Old bastard says:

”Nice job”.

13. Fabbastard says:

Ya, pretty funky tank!

14. COBY says:

MY BIKE IS IN THIS MONTHS ISSUE (AUGUST)OF THE HORES TOO MINE IS THE BLUE XS THAT SAYS COBYS XS BUT IT WONT LET ME POST MY PICS SO YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE MAG TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK BUT I DO THINK I TAKE THE CAKE WITH THE PAINT BUT I LOVE YOURS TOO I RESPECT ANY 60s-70s METALFLAKE CANDY PAINT JOBS NOT VERY MANY OUT THERE ANYWAYS NICE JOB ON THE BIKE OHH AND ITS PRETTY COOL BOTH OF US MADE THE MAGAZINE SAME MONTH

15. Barney says:

I have this month’s issue of The Horse. I remember seeing a few XSs in there. What pages are your guys’ on?

16. Kaveeks says:

Very nice build man. I freaking love that tank! Any chances you could post some close ups of it?

17. reynoldburton says:

C´mon Coby, lets see some pics for those who have no access to the horse mag – I would really like to see your ride

18. Blacksmithbilly says:

I like it alot Bill.
    All that hard work pays off!

19. Bill says:

Thanks for all the compliments guys, yeah Billy it pays off for sure and elbow grease is FREE! Hans, I’ve seen your build threads and a compliment from you means alot so thanks. Coby, go ahead and mix in a lower case letter every now and then. Thanks again Ted, it looks great and you do a hell of a job.

20. Bouncy Bouncy says:

Boys will be boys!

21. COBY says:

All the pics i have are too large but i will try again and by the way im not shooting down anyone i like his bike my paint was just alot of work with all the hidden graphics and free hand pinstripe everywhere

22. pickles says:

Killer ride. I fully dig this build!

23. Dave says:

Awsome bike! What kind of gastank is that?

24. nicely done! quick question – are the shocks just for look? if not i’m trying to figure how u get any suspension travel w/ the seat right on the render which is laying right on the rear tire.

25. Bill says:

@ Dave- It’s just a mustang but the tunnel got lowered as low as I could get it and the petcock still clear the top of the motor.That new one that Low Brow is selling looks VERY similar. @ Scott H- No, the shocks are not just for looks. After looking at the pictures posted here I can see why you asked, they all make it look a little closer than it is. It does rub a little when I hit something abrupt but it doesn’t hit really hard. There is actually about 2″ of tire clearance up inside the fender, but it IS slightly too close. I think a quality set of shocks (those are just cheap Rebel shocks) with a stiffer spring rate will fix it. Keep in mind that I’m a narrow sob though.

26. mini danzig says:

how is it riding with just the rear drum brake? thinking about going this route as my bike is light and i don’t put a shit ton of miles on the bike, but i am curious your thoughts after riding this setup?

27. Chopper Ed says:

Cool ride you sled slut Wild Bill! C’mon weiner…give us one’a dem Victory Lap slidin’ stops you trick ridin’ cool breeze!

28. Chopper Ed says:

P.S. Pssst! Yo Bill…no one noticed the tail light change up you slickster…shhh, I won’t tell. Congrat’s on the fine craftmanship pal. Sweet lookin’ ride.

I sure as hell didn’t notice it, LOL.

30. fuck it man. go all in. this bike is screaming for the lines of a hardtail. you know you wanna. you know it. Oh. and. you’ve got some of the finest side cover drilling I’ve seen. Perfect.

31. Bill says:

@ Chopper Ed- I had kind of forgot that there were actually two brake light set-ups in these pictures. Don’t be jealous Ed, I can teach you how to power slide! I can also teach you how to get drunk on moonshine and wipe out while turning donuts on wet grass with it!

I WANNA “get drunk on moonshine and wipe out while turning donuts on wet grass with it! “. Sounds like chracter building…

33. Chopper Ed says:

No jealousy here my brother. Nuttin’ but admiration of the ride yer sportin’ there catdaddy and I’m a lookin’ furward to the moonshine powerslidin’ trainin’ too DaddyO.

34. El Diablo Negro says:

I CAN DIG IT FO SHO!!!! I WANT TO TAKE MINE DOWN A SIMILAR ROUTE, LOVIN THE BRAT STYLE FOR A WHILE NOW.

35. Chuck Jones says:

I love the rims with the black powder coat nice touch. The paintjob on the tank is really nice too.

36. David says:

i’m looking for a 650 bobber please send email i well respond thank you David

37. derek says:

kinda new to this.. but my question is. what exactly is a “brat”?? i’m obviously not sure, but i think its a bike with a swing arm and shocks instead of a hardtail??

38. Bill says:

@ David- you didn’t leave an email address man, I can be reached at Bwpg70@att.net if you have questions. @ Derek- I think most people think of brats as swing arm and shocks but more specifically, bent seat rails.

39. Pat Nice says:

Im not very tall.like 5ten, is the bent rails… Do I cut out all the b.s. stock electric hoousing? Zaw saw? And battery n electric…. Heeeeeeeeeelp

40. Vinny says:

What size rear wheel do you have? Can’t find the dunlop in a 16.

41. Bill says:

@Vinny, its a stock 18″ wheel.

42. grooves says:

Great looking xs. Nice article in the horse too. Paint job makes the bike eh?