VISUAL IMPACT’S WICKED SOUL

xs650-chop-Mike-Bike3

I got the bike in a bunch of boxes.

Michael- Heres my latest build. This one came to me pretty rough. I got the bike in a bunch of boxes. All the hardware was missing on it. The frame looked like it was attacked by a grinder. It was a complete mess. The tank started out as a stock Honda tank. The side of it was dented in pretty bad but overall it had a cool shape so I started with that and removed the dent. I welded a backbone down the middle of the tank with some round bar.

I raised the front of the tank about 3 inches and made a new tunnel for it. I welded in crossovers in the rear, site gauge bungs and finally I closed up the stock filler and made a new one. The rear fender is from Barons and I took that and grafted it into a homemade battery box. The fender struts I made started out as a sweet little one piece deal.

xs650-chop-Candy-Flakes1

Unfortunately to much material got removed around one of the mounts when it got cleaned up at the chromer and it ended up cracking after a few hundred miles. I decided to cut it down and make it a two piece fender strut so I wouldn’t loose my riding season to a chrome part. The bars on the bike I had made by Slims fab. The kick arm is cut down a few inches and I welded on a CHC pedal. The pegs are stock mounts that were cut apart and reworked to accept the brass pegs. I had the brake arm and shift arm brass plated.

xs650-chop-WICKEDSOUL4

The front end is basically stock. I took the stock upper tree and shaved and polished it, the lower tree I shaved and had chromed and the forks, I shaved and polished as well. I spent a retarded amount of time polishing the motor and cases. The exhaust is a two into one that I added a car exhaust end on. Seat from west eagle.

xs650-chop-wsiggypod1

IGNITION POD INFO

One of the things on the bike I like the most is the key start. I made a pod that attaches to the back of the case. I put a machined down brass cap that you turn to start the bike. This led to coming out with a new product. I took that idea and put together a basic kit to mount a ignition switch. Its a 2 inch wide tube with end caps and weld on tab to mount it. It also comes with or without a car type ignition switch and also comes with a grommet to run the wiring through.

xs650-chop-PIPEBOMBEDITSWITCH

Its pretty simple to put together, just drill a 5/16 inch hole for the grommet, a 3/4 inch hole for the switch, weld the tab on where you want it and your ready to go. If you are running the bottom end cap you may also want to add a small set screw or screw to hold the cap on. The ends are very tight but we all know how much these bikes can vibrate. Any way, you can check out the kit in my store along with a few other xs related items.

xs650-chop-wickedsoul7

The paint is PPG silver with HOK ultra mini flake under Red Candy. Next I did some spun 23 karat gold lettering. The pinstripes are done by Ed Foody. Hes been at it for half a century and still going strong into his 70s. Im honored to have his stripes on both of my xs 650s. All in all I started it over last winter and finished it up in august about 7 or 8 months chipping away at it in my spare time.

xs650-chop-wickedsoul6

xs650-chop-wickedsoul8

I’m super happy with the way it turned out. Its exactly the way I wanted it. On a side note, I have been blessed and lucky enough to have it featured in this months issue of Cycle Source magazine(oct issue) and also supposed to be going in Dice magazine at some point(issue yet to be determined). Check it out and support a fellow xs 650 nut.

Michael Piantieri
www.visualimpact2.com

Comments

1. Ted says:

It turned out sick – I love the paint job – the two-tone red flake looks really great.

The matching brass foot controls and other bits with the goldleaf really give it its own character. Nicely done – thanks for sending the pictures in Mike.

2. norm younger says:

Nice job. Cool bike.

3. El Gaucho says:

Nice job, Mike!

4. Bill says:

VERY well done man, it’s just right. I bet that 2-into-1 sounds nice.

5. El Diablo Negro says:

I DIG THE POLISHED ENGINE CASE AND SIDE COVERS. DO YOU HAVE ANY FINGER TIPS LEFT? LOL! BUT SERIOUSLY, SUPER NICE WORK. THE PAINT REALLY BLOWS ME AWAY TOO. REMINDS ME OF GASSERS I’D SEE RUNNING AT THE DRAGS IN THE EARLY 70’S AT IRWINDALE AND POMONA IN CA. I WAS JUST A LIL TURD, BUT IT WAS AN INTRO TO BIKES AND CARS THAT PERMANANTLY INFECTED THE BLOODSTREAM. I’M SURE ALL YOU OUT THERE KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING. IF YOU NEED TO ASK, YOU PROBABLY WOULD’NT UNDERSTAND. SORRY I KNOW MY COMMENT IS LONG, JUST THINKING TOO MUCH.

6. Brandon says:

awesome bike!

7. visimpact says:

Thanks for the good words fellas.
    The two into one definately sounds good. Mellow but nice.
    The polishing on the cases wasnt to bad its the polishing in between all the fins and the rest of the engine that kicked my ass

8. Angeland says:

Very nice. The color is great. Congratulation…

9. Yale says:

Amazing. Just bought the Illegal Immigrant bike (on this site) from a guy in Nebraska. Needs a lot of little work like new cables, relocated clutch and brake pedal, etc which I was not planning. i just wanted to ride. Now that I have been forced to learn about this stuff I have decided to build my own. Your bike is exactly what I want to build! Thanks for the inspiration but get ready for lots of questions from me !!!!!!

10. IOCWA says:

Not too shabby mate…. I’d ride with ya.. :0)

After all that awesome detail, I must say I’m not a big fan of the hose clamps on your tank pipe gauge. A nice bit of twisted stainless wire would finish it off nice.

Pipe bomb is “The Bomb”… very cool stealthy concept..
    Paintwork is sensational….

Good Job ;0)

11. Andy Larmouth says:

yes. yes. yes.

12. muddybob says:

beautiful build man, very clean!

13. Yale says:

Couple questions …. Do you have any photos of the frame modifications. I am loving the hydraulic suspension and want to understand how the rear end was modified. Also I dont see much wiring. My bike has a bird nest of wires. Nothing was run through the frame which I dont mid but need to find a better way to neatly wire my bike. Do you have any suggestions for wiring? Any type of fuse panel or block that everything can tied into neatly?

14. Visimpact says:

The frame mods are my brat kit that I sell here. The bike is wired internally in the swing arm and up to the headlight. All the wiring that is exposed is down near the ignition and battery and the bulk of it is under the swing arm up out of the way. 2 fuses one main fuse and secondary fuse for lighting. Thats really all u need. Some guys run small fuse blocks some don’t. I don’t. Its basic chopper wiring. Bare bones. No signals relays or any other unnecessary stuff.

15. michael steele says:

i love it

16. Guy says:

JUST SO GOOD!!!

17. nip says:

I’m liking this. Really smart, great details, job well done

18. Bad ass as always Mike. Love everything about it. You put alot of heart and soul in it. Congrats on the spread.

19. jordanGdrummer says:

Great details and build, I just wish there was at least 1 photo that’s a side view pulled far enough back so I can see the overall stance of the bike

20. visimpact says:

Its in Cycle Source magazine(oct issue) on shelves now. Two views in there that are what you are after. I will post more pics on my site of it as well soon enough.

21. The Flying Imp says:

Wow! Your attention to detail is unmatched. I love the tank work.

22. Musicguy64 says:

Absolutely LOVE it!!! I have yet to tear into my XS650, and now, because of seeing what you’ve done with this bike, I’m pretty damn torn between hardtailing it, and bratting it like you’ve done here. Again, SUPER nice, passionate building job there! What are those rear shocks off of?

23. Yale says:

I was all about the hardtail as well until I saw this bike. Now I want a brat. It just looks like a smoother line to me. This guy sells a kit for them. He is pretty straight forward and would probably help you with the build.

24. visimpact says:

Thanks guys. Musicguy the shocks are emgo

25. ts says:

I saw it in person at the Lansdale bike night, and I have to say it is even better looking in person. It was immaculate – congrats on a great job.

26. Svanqvist says:

One of the nicest rearends I have seen. The rear-frame mod’s and the fender are very well done. And the shocks still in place!

27. jmann says:

Job well done!! Love the paint.

28. Visimpact says:

Bikes for sale. 5500. I have ideas for new bikes and need money to build. Contact me at. http://Www.visualimpact2.com. And click on any email me button and fill out the form. You can also call. All contact info on my site Thanks. Mike

29. Chuck Jones says:

Great build, I love the ignition pod.

30. Jacques says:

All proven technologies, but very tastefully combined. My compliments!

31. Chuck Jones says:

I really like the ignition pod accessory

32. Visimpact says:

Bike is for sale. Go to my web site to contact me if you are interested. Best reasonable offer close to asking price will be accepted. http://Www.visualimpact2.com

33. Visimpact says:

Sold!

34. rd oneal says:

I gotta know where to get a set of those pipes, can you help me

35. visimpact says:

They are a standard mack two into one pipes. I removed the stock muffler end and welded on a rippled car exhaust end and had them ceramic coated.

36. rd oneal says:

Hey you still around. can you let me know where to get the 2 into 1, I gotta have them for mine, thanks Dwayne

37. visimpact says:

You can get them all over the place. Just do a search for mac 2 into 1 pipe. Mikesxs sells them. You can find them used all the time on ebay and forums

38. rd oneal says:

OK, I got a set from ebay, now what part store did you get the turnout from and I thank you for the info, Dwayne