Chris’s Big rim XS build

Chriss Big rim XS buildxs650 DSCN0234 587x308

Chris – I just finished my XS build that I started back in January. The build took longer than I wanted it too, but I was orgistrating the build from over an hour away at my dad and grandpas shops. I have built two previous XS bikes but wanted to do something different with this one. I wanted to stick more to a bicycle look. Bigger rims front and back but keep the wheelbase as short as possible. The previous owner tunred the stock bike into a cafe racer and never finished it.

Chriss Big rim XS buildxs650 DSCN0235 587x436

I know I wanted to go with another hardtail so I used the TC bros universal hardtail kit. I wanted to go with 19’s front and back and wanted to go with a mag wheel for a different look so I found an XS650 front wheel and an XS1100 front to use on the rear because the mag spokes are a little bit wider.

Chriss Big rim XS buildxs650 r front 587x404

Next came the tank. I found an older mustang tank that would fit the lines of the bike.

I moved the front fender to the back and went with Tokico caliper up front and XS1100 slotted rotors. I built the exhaust out of a universal kit and fabbed up some stainless heat shields to help with the heat and finished them up with aluminum end caps.  Made the clips ons for the top of the fork tubes. When it came to paint, I wanted a clean, old look.

Chriss Big rim XS buildxs650 DSCN0302 587x300

Not seeing alot of all white bikes out there, we decided to go as much white as possible for the clean look and just accent the tank and fender with a pearl mint green, oulined in silver with the old race number in silverleaf.

Chriss Big rim XS buildxs650 r rear 587x270

I want to thank Mike Wager for the Tank and fender paint and grandpa Dan for getting the all the body work and other paint work. I especially want to thank my Dad for all of his excellent machine work (spacers,rear hub, sproket, misc brakcets, seat spring mounts)  and for making this build possible from over 60 miles away.

Let me know if you need anymore info.

Chris Becker
Dover Ohio

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

Brat-ad
Hugh-Ad-2
hinge

Comments

1. Awesome work, Chris! (and all involved, for that matter.) I like this bike a lot. Simple and clean. Just how they need to be.

2. idaho chad says:

Beautiful build man, loving the mags. Nice job!!

3. Tebo says:

Nice! And sweet, kinda ‘Fong style’ with the mids. Re-purposing an Xs1100 front mag for your rear is something new. 19 inch and beefier. Very nicely done. I’ve been thinking of something similar for my ’81, sort of drag bike style. What’s the plan for # 4?

I’ve been looking forward to this. Cool bike and thanks Ted.

5. Jherrid says:

Hey Chris, that’s a rad little scoot. I’m in Canton Ohio and i have a hardtail XS myself. If you ever want to go for a ride, drop me a line! imwastefull@live.com Thanks brother – Jherrid.

6. Barney says:

WOW, nice paint! It sure does make a statement. Nice!

7. aldo says:

beaucoup de gout . tres jolie

8. Speed Hole says:

This bike has frightened all my homobutt friends.

9. El Gaucho says:

Love it! Very clean and well done. This will probably be the last white frame you ever do though. Just saying. (but they look so nice before they get all lube-stained!)

10. CruzBoos says:

Oh yeah! Nicely done Chris. Keep her clean with some PAM and then lube the chain.
    Thanks Ted. The jones was getting pretty bad.

11. mike lytle says:

nice clean build………like the exaust and the heat shields……well done…..looks like you still need some air filters?????……thanks for sharing……and thanks “Ted” for sharing……..divy out a few more while we await the grand opening of the new site!!!!!!!!

12. Chris says:

I clean the white as soon as I’m done riding to make sure it doesnt stain too bad. I have filters, still adjusting carbs a so they were off for a bit, forgot to put them back on for a few of the pics

13. PlugHead says:

Looks like a really fun scoot to ride, I’m diggin’ the rims. Nice work.

14. El Gaucho says:

Hmmmmm….. I never thought of using PAM. interesting.

15. mike lytle says:

Just wondering??????……..is “PAM” availible to clean my bike?????????

16. derkmart76 says:

awesome….great design

17. Chris says:

As of right now, no real set plans for number 4 but that can all change. I think it might be time get dad to get his triumph together

18. DENNI$ says:

Chris, was it difficult to get the 1100 rim to work?

19. chris says:

Denni$- Not too bad,my dad was able to machine out a spacer to mount to the wheel then have the sprocket mount to the spacer

20. DENNI$ says:

I see. You make it sound easy Nice looking bike, the big rims really stand out, along with the white paint.

21. davethewrench says:

Nice looking scoot, I like all the white

22. Black Rose says:

Solid vision on the bike Chris. Would your Father consider building another rear sprocket spacer/adapter ? I need one. Thanks

23. Ben says:

Wow man, this is a really awesome bike! I’ve been building my XS for a while now and I’m almost there but I really would like to have a big rear wheel like you did. Could you send me some info on what had to be done to convert the front wheel to a rear? Any info you are willing to give will be greatly appriciated. Thanks

Ben

24. Chris says:

@Black rose I’m sure he could but he would need everything to get measurements…send me your email and we can talk

@ Ben… Mainly the rear sprocket adapter and two spacers on each side of the wheel is all you need. I went with the same size Kenda tires front and rear because of the tread pattern and because of the grip……really well balanced and handles great

25. Black Rose says:

Thanks for the reply Chris, get in touch anytime O G S K 8 R @ G m a i l . c o m

26. Black Rose says:

27. ED DAY says:

Man….I dont like to many white bikes….BUT THIS ONE IS AWESOME………nice job

28. pickles says:

Definitely a cool build. Diggin it.

29. Ben says:

I just purchased a front wheel off of an 80’s model XS750 that I want to use for the rear wheel. Would your dad consider machining me a sprocket adapter like the one you have, I need one before I can finish my build like I want. My email is benengle@charter.net
    Thanks

30. pickles says:

Seeing this bike in the Horse was sedime! Well deserved!

31. Murph says:

Hey Chris. I’d love to have one of those spacers machined as well. I’ve been looking for a way to use the same rim as a rear, and never thought to do that. I am in the process of getting my frame together right now, waiting on the hardtail section to show up. If you could shoot me an email to joshualmurphy81@ gmail.com so we could get in touch that would be awesome.