81 Yamaha 650 bobber

a2012 20120707 125240 600x342 81 Yamaha 650 bobber

Wayne - This is a 81 Yamaha 650 that I try to make look 60 years old. Has a john deer sediment fuel bowl with an orange led light in it and skulls. A truck tier for a seat. Piano bench legs for handle grips with orange led lights in the glass balls.

a2012 20120707 125326 600x379 81 Yamaha 650 bobber

Silver spoons for brake and cultch lever. Old brass door knob for oil dip stick.  Glass door knob with white led light in it for jockey shift.

a2012 20120707 125810 81 Yamaha 650 bobber

Old All State gas tank. Acrylic skull for tail light red led. A train light for brake light.  18 inch front and rear reams with Coker tiers. Just to name a few of the things that I have done to this bike.  O ya that is a mini Chevy alternator.

a2012 20120707 125441 600x417 81 Yamaha 650 bobber

Started build project Oct. 1st  finish March 31, 2012.  This is what happens when an artist get hold of a bunch of junk and loves to build bikes.

Wayne E Braun

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

xscharge
Brat-ad
zombie

27 Responses to 81 Yamaha 650 bobber

1. CruzBoos October 18, 2012 at 11:18 am #

Way out there dude! So many items strategically placed. Question… what spokes did you use for the front 18″ rim and the original hub (I’m guessing).Oh .. how do you change gears with the shifter when applying the clutch. I bet that the revs have a part to play. So many questions to ask.. like is that a bell on under the left forward foot rest. You’ve really confused me with this one.

2. CruzBoos October 18, 2012 at 11:22 am #

3. CruzBoos October 18, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Sorry if this has been duplicated, but the comment seems to be misbehavin’.

• Pinski October 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

My assumption, not knowing anything about the builder, is that the bell is a gaurdian bell. As far as shifting, in my experience there isn’t much difference in shifting a foot shift and shifting a jockey shift, besides location. Please correct me if I am out in left field, Wayne.

4. dex82 October 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

jaysus, man! one of my favourites, nice to see so many parts that weren’t originally intended for their present jobs. i really like the tank. she rocks

5. El Gaucho October 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Holy &#!T!!!!!! Dude, at first glance I loved the tank and general look of the bike, but those details take it over the top! I’d love to see it at night. I could even overlook that it has no rear fender because the rest of the bike is so badassed it told the fender to f-off, lol. I guess it’s the season for the skull and witch crap, but I hope you plan on taking that stuff off before too long. That’s the only thing that makes the bike seem a little tacky. A bike with that amount of detail and character doesn’t need the creepshow garbage on it. Great job building a fine bike, man!

The skull that functions as a brake light should stay though…….

6. El Gaucho October 18, 2012 at 8:34 pm #

Oh, and I love the charging system! There’s other little things I’m seeing that aren’t mentioned that I would like to hear about too………
    Diggin the exhaust tip and some of the little details in the middle of the bike.

7. DENNI$ October 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I likey. I likey very much!

8. VonFuct October 20, 2012 at 12:46 am #

Okay, so what’s the story on that charging system?!?! MSweet bike by the way!

9. Pinski October 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

This is just an all around bad-ass bike! Are you using the sediment bowl as the fuel filter? That is something I never thought of that would be a kick-ass idea for a project I’m working on, if I can have your blessing to steal it.

10. ghostryder October 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm #

great project, but i dont get the shifting either, how do you hand clutch from the bars and then hand shift?

11. GUY October 21, 2012 at 3:50 am #

WOW!!! SO MANY ORIGINAL IDEAS!!! GREAT WORK.

12. funnymachine October 21, 2012 at 5:36 am #

that’s awesome – love the little guy under the tank and the charging system rocks!

13. turdherder October 21, 2012 at 8:34 am #

I don’t get the purpose or appearance of the charging system??? I personally wouldn’t want an alternator hanging out there like that. I would like to see how you managed to make your connection to the engine. Does it spin at the right speed to maintain the system being a direct drive instead of thru a pulley? They say necessity is the mother of invention!

• Ted October 22, 2012 at 10:44 am #

Regardless of what alternator is used it would need to run through a regulator/ rectifier or a digital controller. And it looks like a RR is mounted on the side. I’ve seen this done on a couple of bikes and one that used a pulley system. The basic principle is the same though. You need to get the alternator to spin to generate current etc.. From the way it looks – I think the foot peg would hit the ground first on a tight turned. I dig the Rat look.

14. Al October 21, 2012 at 11:47 am #

I can see a true artists view all through the bike, i can see it was not a slap together job. this is what i truely like to see when someone builds a bike.

15. PlugHead October 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

I don’t get it, but ride on.

16. El Gaucho October 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

Clutchless shifts, people. It’s how I do jockey shift too. You can reach over with the right hand if you want or need to though with the handle in that position. Look up Wabi Sabi. Same shifter position.

17. ghostryder October 23, 2012 at 9:44 am #

I get the clutchless shift thing, i had to do it with an old triumph i had in the early nineties. i didnt do it by choice though. it was not a big deal if you were rolling, but a major pain when dealing with red lights in traffic. i got good at timing the lights, but still…why do it if you dont have to?

• El Gaucho November 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

You still have a clutch to stop, and it’s easy when stopped to reach over the tank and slap it down to first. When putting it in first after starting, I would pull in the clutch and bump the shifter with my knee. Easy. I love hand shifting clutchless. I’m a hardcor musclecar guy and it reminds me of the feeling of banging through the gears, albeit with the opposite hand.

18. Geezerman October 26, 2012 at 6:51 am #

I like it :o)

19. pickles October 31, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Definitely like the tank, even if the rest isn’t my style.

20. kabbage patch March 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

Dont get it and I’d be worried riding behind it…. no offense but alot of junk does not always equal art. Not trying to be mean but not my cup of tea. Keep on rocking it though if ya like it.

21. kabbage patch March 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

22. fanoboss March 29, 2013 at 7:55 am #

i dig it

23. vane kitrozoski April 28, 2013 at 2:35 pm #

old boober beatifull motorcikle cool bike…………??