BADGE – 1980 650 custom

a2012 noid bike6 600x360 BADGE   1980 650 custom

John - Here are some updated photos of my bike. I’ve been working part time at SPECIAL EFFECTS MOTORCYCLE in Burlington. Canada. Everything on this bike has been custom built or modified. Started with two donor 650s, a aftermarket Harley frame, split gas tanks and a flat trailer fender. (not used) Springer is a DNA brand, heavily modified. Further fabrication include; handlebars 1 5/8 diameter with internal clutch and throttle. All sheet metal. Front fender designed to float with suspension. Seat  made with perforated steel with hidden suspension and secondary LED brake light.

a2012 noid bike3 600x409 BADGE   1980 650 custom

Forward controls have dual master cylinders for independent braking. Offset sprockets to allow 200mm tire on a 18 x 5.5 wheel. Front is the same size. Rear fender is tight to the tire profile and has adjustment to follow rear axle. Exhaust made from stainless steel in ground pool handles. (free) All wiring including coil and spark plugs are hidden.Monitor and camera will be used for rear viewing. Project is in testing before final body and paint.

a2012 noid bike5 600x331 BADGE   1980 650 custom

Custom made: “Oil Tank” ( it holds the circuit breakers and ignition components). Handle bars, made from 1 5/8″ tubing with internal throttle and clutch. Forward controls. Head light mount. Seat with hidden suspension. License plate mount. Modified: DNA springer front end ( Heavily cladded). Frame, Gas tank (was originally Harley split tanks) joined and stretched. Front and rear fenders.

There is more time and passion put into this bike than money.

John Williamson

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

zombie
Hugh-Ad-2
Brat-ad
hinge

Comments

1. sugiarto says:

Nice bike, so clean…….and look powerfull.

1. pickles says:

I agree. I think it gives off the give of being bigger than it actually is. Really a slick build. Congrats!

2. pickles says:

Lookin clean, and has to be fun as Hell to cruise on.

3. wildwang83 says:

I have finally found the look I’ve been after. You sir have built one sweet ride.

4. Nick says:

Such a work of art.

5. Joshua says:

That is def in my top 5 builds ever. Great job!!

6. DENNI$ says:

wow! very smooth, clean, bulky look. and, yeah, powerful. I like the fenders. I think a bigger headlight would fit better, but thats just me. Great work; great looking machine!

Great Job… I never imagined a pool ladder for exhaust pipes

8. turdherder says:

No copy cat shit here! Truly an original work of art and style. I am in agreement with a couple of the other guys on the headlight though. Nice job, I’d be proud to park my ass on this one!

9. Creedler says:

Looking great! This is such a slick build, such a clean unique look. Well done!

10. taffy says:

thats the idea i have been thinking about using a wishbone harley frame to get the old school look .did you have much trouble getting the motor in and what make frame did you use .sweet ride man looks like someones beaten me to it.

1. BADGE says:

Hey Taffy. Thank you for the positive words. The frame I used is aftermarket (rbt) in the v.i.n. It was surprisingly easy to modify the frame, I just cut out the Harley mounts and made my own to fit the motor and transmission in.

11. PlugHead says:

Looks like you could go cross country on one tank of gas!

12. El Gaucho says:

Very interesting…..very unique. Love the engineering that went into the front fender mount system. Very rarely do you see a fender on a springer front end that looks right, but you got it down pat.

1. Hoovasama says:

Harley Davidson Crossbones

13. Go to: chopperworks.ca website to see many more images. It is under the RIGIDS page. The description has my name, the bike is my friend’s, Mike.

14. El Gaucho says:

First time I ever saw a front fender on a springer that I liked. Well engineered!

1. Hoovasama says:

Harley Davidson Crossbones = Springer front end with fender.

15. blackwidow says:

that thing is definately awesome how did u mount the front fendet with that springer front end????

1. BADGE says:

Thank you. As for the front fender.. John from Special Effects actually came up with the idea on a customer bike that had a springer. Basically it’s mounted to the front axle and supported by a heim joint to allow it to move with the front end. If you go to chopperworks.ca you can see pictures of mine and the other bike that have that set up.

16. CruzBoos says:

This babe reminds me of a fat bob beach cruiser. I’ll bet the bitch barks back in response to your touch. Did you use Russ Mitchell controls or fab / recreate them from a pasola or some other side pull throttled scooter?

1. BADGE says:

The foot controls are made by me. The internal controls I bought. You can find them on ebay, or your local shop should be able to get them.

1. You Sir, are the coolest.

17. Vigo The Carpathian says:

I admire the quality of the craft much more than the finished product. More custom fabrication than I could dream of doing, but the bike itself has too many modern, sleek aspects for me to enjoy.

18. Vigo, did you just get out of a time machine from 1858? Too modern? In as far as the Harley history, Rigid frames 1903, Springers came out in 1909, internal handlebar controls,early 20th century the teardrop gas tank 1926 and black paint and the wheeI, I would guess 2000 BC. I am sorry you don’t enjoy our ‘aspects’. Kidding aside I do understand what you wrote. The style (aspects) is ‘retro euro’ if a label has to be put to it. North Americans mostly think of Russell Mitchell when they see retro euros, clean, classic traditional with a twist. I have never seen a bike with extraneous parts, exposed cables, hoses, wires, and cable ties that add to the base design so we build all our bikes clean. To us this is a more honest style than trying to mimic a period piece from the 1920s – 50s. The ergonomics are more important than the styling. The bike is very comfortable and well balanced for a rider of 5’8 – 6′ With 200mm tires, fenders are needed for the reasons intended. The gas tank is only 3.5 gal. set welded together, little farther distance and helps cut down top engine noise and wind. Lastly it has road presence. 650s are small enough before chopping. The bike is light but not clownish small.

1. Vigo The Carpathian says:

No need to explain yourself, really, it’s just my personal reaction to the styling. I really am impressed with the work itself, as I mentioned. The ‘modern’ comment was more aimed at the aesthetic choices than the technology used. It’s a bit wide for my taste, but fuck it, ain’t my bike anyway. Hope you’re enjoying the hell out of it.

19. rogercoleman says:

Whooo what a build, rather than old school I think I could see this bike in a show room next to many of the Jap nock offs of 2cylinder harleys, an hold it own. Clean sleek, smooth. Plus none of them would be as clean wireless, its as if every thing is independant stands on its own. I am building my 1st blke and I am hoping just to get it on the road again.Thanks for posting and sharing it. Roger and out!!!

1. Call on us if you need help in design. I truly wish we could all work together. With all the talents I see here. I am mostly Harley based but would love to show the snobs (if you will) what can be done and be uber cool without spending stupid money.Roger, it doesn’t matter anyway. To build your own bike, ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME. Learning didn’t stop at school.

20. To all posters, I want to thank you for honest comments. We posted this project to instill a energy. Some state that it is outside their capabilities. To this I write. I learned all I know through efforts, no school, no mentor. A desire to turn an idea into reality. This is not easy, it should force the best out of you. Planning is Key. I take from everything around me. Aircraft is big factor but a design idea can gell from anything. I have seen honesty on this site and truly wish the best for all, even that pooey head Ross from the comments on ‘Scout 33′. He is most likely a good guy.

21. OOPS, I should have wrote Chappell Customs, ‘STOUT 33′ in my last comment. Stupid brain.

22. To the comments regarding the Springer front fender. DNA offer front leg bolt on fender mounts for their front end. I have never used them and don’t think they travel the same as the wheel. As ‘Hoovasama’ pointed out twice, look at a Harley Crossbones Softail. They where inspired by what the custom bike builders had been designing decades before. For a floating fender the mount (s) have to align with the axle. Add a linkage to stop rotation, done. I built a bike with a one sided stainless steel mount that floats. Axle alignment was through the caliper bracket. It is the first on the ‘Featured Builds’ page on my w/site; chopperworks.ca . You will notice the rear fender is attached to the swingarm so as to be tight to the wheel. We and other builders have been doing that for decades as well. Harley sees that and is once again inspired.

23. Bullet says:

What size is the front wheel and tire?

24. taffy says:

I have a question !i see no mastercylinder on the bars which is something i would like on my build i hate those things sticking up .what set up did you use for the brakes in order to hide it?thanks.

25. To Bullet. Sizes are mentioned in the write up but more info and pictures on our w/site chopperworks.ca.

26. O.K. To Taffy, you are the second in a row to ask a question that is made clear in the description. I will elaborate. We put two hydraulic master cylinders side by side mounted to the frame past the kick starter arm. A linkage connected to the forward controls with a pair of adjusting rod ends fit into the masters to move the pistons to transfer the brake fluid to the calipers under proportional force when the foot lever is applied. The hydraulics are independent to each other for added safety. The downside is if at a stop brakes have to be used, only one foot on the ground. Not considered legal everywhere. Brake force is not able to be altered on the fly. Rider has only a single source to activate the brakes. Alternative method is to set up a handle bar lever (similar to a clutch) with a cable to hide the master cylinder off the bars. This requires a unique linkage for the master. Most builders in the garage backyard shop world will take the lazy, unsafe, way to keep the bars clean by not using a front brake system. I personally would not run this on my own bike.

27. Darren says:

Great fab work,nice to see lovely bike more please