CAPONE

a2012 Picture 1 600x342 CAPONE

Matt - The “CAPONE” project started roughly a year ago after browsing the xs650 site. I immediately hit up Jon Ard from Ardcore Choppers for a hardtail and some fab work.  I originally wanted just a badass low budget bobber to ride to work, but after stumbling on Angry Monkey Motorcyles. They specialize in bare bones badass Triumph bikes. I contacted Dan Patterson at Angry Monkey to pick his brain a little.  He was more than willing to offer advice and suggestions.  He was kind enough to sell me the Cole Foster tank.

a2012 20121204299457SAD 600x368 CAPONE

I met with Jon Ard again and turned him loose. He is a master fabricator and welder. He fabricated the bars and welded them to the top clamp of the 4 under DNA springer.  He also built the “one-off” bitchin’ pipes.  We wanted them high and down the right side without going around the downtubes.  He nailed it.  Everything was beautifully TIG welded and exactly how I wanted it.

a2012 noid Capone 0028 600x334 CAPONE

a2012 20121201267738SAD 600x392 CAPONE

Indy Extreme Offroad freshened up the motor with rings, gaskets, seals, filters, and all new chrome and stainless steel hardware.  The carbs were sent to Old Skool Carbs in South Carolina for some ultrasonic cleaning and a complete rebuild. To top off the new looking carbs, I went with Steel Dragon polished velocity stacks. A brass kicker gave it a little more vintage feel. The oil tank has a fake “sight glass” on the right side with real oil and polished brass fittings. The feed and return oil lines hide all the wiring.

a2012 20121121 193801 600x354 CAPONE

a2012 20121006 105842 600x383 CAPONE

Inside the tank is the reg/rect combo, fuse block, and an 8 cell a123 battery.  The candy lace paint was laid down by Jeff Savage @ Savage Auto Refinishing.  The silver is micro flaked and the lace was sprayed candy purple with candy red  on top.  All the aluminum on the bike was sent to Sure Shine Polishing in Decatur, IL for a freshen up.  There are tons of odds and ends that I’m leaving out, but I think the pics speak for themselves.

I’m sure the buyer in Australia will enjoy it. The insperation behind this build came from Dan Patterson @ Angry Monkey Motorcycles and his Triumph builds.

a2012 201212043161123SAD 600x351 CAPONE

A few that were involved in the build.

• Fabrication – Ardcore Choppers
  • Paint – Savage Auto Refinishing
  • Powdercoat – Pro-Kote Indy
  • Motor – Indy Extreme Offroad
  • Carburetors – Old Skool Carbs
  • Tuning – Del’s Performance Cycles
  • Photography – Duncan Photography
  • The Model’s name is Antoinette Tellez.

Thanks, Matt Graves - Brownsburg, IN

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

xscharge
zombie
hinge

49 Responses to CAPONE

1. Buster February 4, 2013 at 4:01 am #

One of the best Ive ever seen.As close to a perfect balance as you could hope to get.Dont scratch it !

2. Hans from Holland February 4, 2013 at 4:16 am #

Nice Matt!!!!!
    That Cole Foster tank is perfect on this XS. Good color choice, whitewalls are matching with the grips. Job well done.

• Matt Graves February 5, 2013 at 5:19 am #

Thank you sir!!

• Gerard March 1, 2014 at 12:21 am #

Beautiful bike! Who makes the wheels?

3. SenatorX February 4, 2013 at 4:45 am #

wow!!! Beautiful!!! Can I ask if you had any fitment issues with the cole foster tank?

• Matt Graves February 4, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

No issues. I shaved all the stock tabs and coil mounts and then the tank was mounted with our brackets. The foster has a deep tunnel, so its easy to get it down low on the bike.

• SenatorX February 5, 2013 at 2:40 am #

are you running the top motor mount?

• Matt Graves February 5, 2013 at 5:21 am #

No top motor mount.

• SenatorX February 10, 2013 at 4:42 am #

thank you and Beautiful bike!!!

4. fanoboss February 4, 2013 at 6:23 am #

why would anyone NOT ride a XS650 ? The tank is awesomeness.

5. Lance Boyle February 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

What’s her number?

• Matt Graves February 5, 2013 at 5:22 am #

I don’t think she would want it out on the net. LOL

• antoinette tellez March 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

lol thanks guys check me out on model mayhem antoinette1313. fan page on fb coming soon. :) thanks for putting these pics of me with this beautiful bike. <3

6. Matt Graves February 4, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Thanks for the kind words guys. We poured blood, sweat, and tears into this….along with my wallet!!

7. ed February 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

the springer and bars with the white grips is a good look

8. crackerjack611 February 4, 2013 at 2:55 pm #

this is the best hardtail I’ve seen in quite some time.

9. El Gaucho February 4, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

Top ten, period. Awesome bike, great lines, great paint, great details. Kudos.

10. Tebo February 4, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Looks fast standing still…so does the bike! What’s it like to ride? Uhhh, the bike that is… According to some other posts, it may not pass “Inspection” in Australia without some of their ‘required’ equipment (like turn signals, chain guard, front fender, etc.). They sound even more strict there than here in New York State. Top shelf build!

• Matt Graves February 5, 2013 at 1:30 am #

The bike is a blast to ride. Pulls good, sounds good, and is straight as an arrow. It’s barebones…but fun!! I’m not familiar with the laws there.

• Andy February 6, 2013 at 1:59 am #

Yes this would be very hard to import and register here in Australia. We have regulations that only allow stock bikes to be imported if they are intended for road use. There are legal and illegal ways around this of course.

This encourages modifications to meet specific Australian standards

Our hard tails require engineer inspections & reports in some cases structural welds need to be xrayed, brake tests carried out and yes full fendered as per the rule book db ratings on exhaust note need to comply. headlight, turn signals, no side mounted licence plates, stoplights in correct position, chainguard… the list goes on and on its not easy over here.

• CruzBoos February 14, 2013 at 6:20 am #

Its the same here in Trinidad. We follow similar outdated British laws with our MOT and they require lights, signals, horn and fenders etc. Thankfully and most regretfully the hamsters here don’t go all out and xray welds. After inspection though everything comes off and she can be ridden around as you wish. Just make sure you’ve got valid insurance when rollin up to a roadblock or they’ll cart your baby away.

11. hellbent1 February 4, 2013 at 9:31 pm #

Best 650 build Ive seen. Great lines. Very cool Old School paint job. An amazing example of what can be done to an ordinary bike

12. Steve Stephenson February 4, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Great looking bike! Pretty much what I am building right now. I would like to know what tires are on your bike. Thanks!

Steve

• Matt Graves February 5, 2013 at 1:38 am #

Steve,

They are Avon Venoms 120/70-21 up front and a MT90-16 in the rear.

13. R J from the ole school February 5, 2013 at 8:44 am #

the BEST show bike Ive ever seen,,,,you have the gift of build,,,,whats next?

• Matt Graves February 14, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Thanks!! I’m building a ’29 Model A sedan now…but already have another XS frame and motor waiting. I’m not sure what direction I’m going next time around.

14. DENNI$ February 5, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Nothing else to add, comment-wise. very very nice!

15. Doc M February 7, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

Great pictorial and photos. Nice to see an original design!

16. John Hughes February 7, 2013 at 9:50 pm #

That springer (4″-under?) looks like it was lowered. Did you use one of the kits available? And are the pipes ceramic coated?

• Matt Graves February 14, 2013 at 8:39 am #

It is a 4″ under DNA with flipped rockers. The pipes are cermachrome. It is a heat resistant ceramic coating.

17. pickles February 8, 2013 at 9:28 am #

What else can I say that hasn’t been covered? Congrats on a stunning bike!

18. CruzBoos February 14, 2013 at 6:05 am #

Oh Baby, cum to daddy!! Or should I say “What a stunner!” Matt you’ve really got a pepper pot in your hands there dude. No doubt about it, Ted has to add this babe to the MsXS contest.
    I would love to get my greasy paws onto her silky draws and really see what she can do.

• Matt Graves February 14, 2013 at 8:43 am #

LMAO…..awesome.

19. Nate February 14, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

Right side high pipes! awesome look. great looking bike

• Matt Graves February 14, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

Thanks…..Jon Ard @ Ardcore did an unbelievable job. They exceeded all expectations!!

20. R February 22, 2013 at 1:33 am #

21. R February 22, 2013 at 2:04 am #

I totally had this in my watch list when it was on eBay!! I’m in Australia too, wish I was the buyer! :( And I’ve been thinking for a while that Dan used the Cole foster on his builds, probably the slickest most proportioned tank for the 50′s look bobber IMO

22. Kenny February 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

what stretch/drop is the hardtail? perfect stance imo

23. Matt Graves February 25, 2013 at 2:52 am #

Thank you. It is an Ardtail from Ardcore Choppers. I believe it is around a 1 1/2″ drop and a 4″ stretch. Keep in mind, the springer is a 4 under with flipped rockers….to help with the stance.

• KENNY M March 22, 2013 at 12:48 am #

When you flipped the rockers did you notice any change in steering? It appears the geometry changes causing less travel to the springs per same amount of wheel travel, therefore it would seem like the ride would seem softer up front. Also did the trail affect the steering at all? thanks

24. Boon UK April 16, 2013 at 5:57 am #

It`s an art to get the overall height length and lines just wright and you got the job done. The line from the headstock through the tank and seat, the curve of the seat support over the strutless rear fender bang on! The width of the whitewall is not interrupted by the width of the said fender, the frame brace follows the curve of the tank. I think there is a lot of thought and time gone into Capone. I bet those pipes were a bitch, speaking of which even her shoes match.AL would approve.

25. misfitskinny June 11, 2013 at 10:59 am #

That bike turned out awesome Mat. One of the best ive seen

• Matt Graves July 4, 2013 at 7:29 am #

I just saw this…thanks man. Good work on the “Capone” seat.

26. Matt Graves July 4, 2013 at 7:30 am #

Thank you for the kind words!!

27. misfitskinny August 26, 2013 at 4:42 pm #

Thanks Matt. What u building on now? I just built a 29 ford coupe model A and another xs that I will b post in on here soon. You can see pcs on my website

• Matt Graves September 25, 2013 at 1:34 am #

I have a ’62 Galaxie on air…white walls and a flaked roof. It’s a cool ride. I never finished my ’29 A Sedan. I traded it a few monthes ago. I’m thinking about building another bike this winter, but I’m not sure what I want to build. XS, Triumph, Ironhead, ect.

28. DAVE RUSSELL September 18, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

By far the nicest XS ever built IMO , I’ve never seen a better build .
    this is the bike that inspired me to start an XS build of my own .

• Matt Graves September 25, 2013 at 1:28 am #

Thanks man…that’s quite a compliment!!

29. robert January 18, 2014 at 10:00 pm #

Kick start only?how’s does the a123 battery set-up work with a pamco/PMA?any issues?sick bike…thanks!!!!!