Homebuilt Budget XS650 Update

Homebuilt Budget XS650 Updatea2012 noid IMAG0884 600x257

Griz – My first post was back in February 2012/02/homebuilt-budget-xs650 so I figured it was time for an update. While she wasn’t done by Spring, and isn’t done yet, she’s a few steps away from her maiden voyage. There just isn’t enough time to get the work done that we want to get done. My Dad and I held off on the foot clutch/hand-shift combo, again, due to lack of time to work on the bike. I plan on fabbing that up over winter when I’ll be tearing it down for paint and a motor rebuild anyways. Currently I’m really close to the $1000 budget and will be going over it a little for the sake of reliability. Still, not bad for a grand.

Homebuilt Budget XS650 Updatea2012 noid IMAG0880 600x291

Not much left on the to-do list anymore. Need to wire up the taillight, find an electronics box that I like that fits where I want it to fit, install a smaller than stock battery, replace the carb boot gaskets, find a set of bars I like, clutch lever, grips, and then run over every nut and bolt with thread locker. That’s about it to get her on the road. It’s plated and insured so I’m itching to take her out. She runs now and vibrates like mad. We had to install some baffles in the pipes because she was LOUD. Too loud. I don’t want that kind of attention from the local police. The baffles toned it down a bit but I’ll probably end up installing actual mufflers eventually.

Homebuilt Budget XS650 Updatea2012 noid IMAG0878 600x294
Here’s some pics from this past Saturday (08-18-12) that I took after we were done working on the bike for this round. My Dad is on it, trying out the riding position. Really comfortable but I’m debating adding 2″ risers to bring the bars up a little. That just depends on the bars I end up with. This has definitely been a learning experience. When I first started planning out the build I never could have imagined all of the small details that you have to get just right. I’m grateful for the time that my Dad and I have spent together on this. This is the first, and hopefully there will be a few more. I can’t wait to get her on the road.

-Thanks
-Griz

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

zombie
Brat-ad
Hugh-Ad-2

Comments

1. buster says:

Yeah man …..thats neat ! id like to ride that rat !

2. sinbin says:

Thelat could be a kymco scooter and the time you spent with your dad makes it one of the greatest rides you’ll ever have. Nice work guys, keep it up. Ohh and nice lookin rat..

3. Barney says:

Cool seat spring idea!

4. Greg says:

I thought this bike was super ugly at first, till I saw you sitting on it. It looks cool. I would personally have handlebars that come back a little bit so I wouldn’t have to reach forward as much. Pretty cool though.

5. Al says:

cool, build nice seat spring idea could tweak the rear fender so it fits the tire radius better ( use a couple of 2x4s ) excellent time well spend with Dad good luck hoping to see update soon !

6. Joe McNinch says:

I was thinking the exact same thing, what an ugly bike. Then I saw what it looks like with someone sitting on it and totally changed my opinion. It is amazing how a small project turns into a big one quick. Change one thing, then you’re like damn now i need to do this, and now this. But the time spent with friends and family bonding over a project is worth more than anything else when it comes to things like this, plus you learn so much. Thanks for the post.

7. Jherrid says:

Rad scoot man! i love garage built affordable machines. That seat however… it’s got to go! 86!

8. Brendan_mp says:

Love the bike man. So envious. And cheap too. Can’t wait to see it with a little paint…and a better seat. ;)

9. Grumpy says:

Looked good to me ‘WITH OR WITHOUT” a rider on board Great job………………

10. dan says:

I can’t hate on this Scot dude! Its to frigen cool.and what a great idea for seat shock.

11. Griz says:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The bars have been updated to something a little bit higher and a bit more pull-back. The Harley take-off seat has been swapped out for something with the same support (butt space) but a much slimmer profile. I’m gonna finally cave and install a PMA system. I hear ya on the comments about it looking weird (the fender will get radiused, that’ll help a bit), but the riding position is what makes it worth it. I’ve got a blown-out back (4 discs with muscle and nerve damage) so riding position is what mattered to me. Everyone who’s sat on it says they want one just like it. I won’t argue with “funny lookin” or whatever else, but to be comfy and able to go for rides makes it all worth it. Health issues have been holding me back but she’s sitting in my shop now, ready to button up a few things then stripped down for my wife to paint and powdercoat. And again, huge thanks to my Dad (he’s on the bike in the pics) for sharing all of his wisdom. I’d love to build more with him. Even when we’re arguing about the build, it’s all worth it. I can finally say for sure that she’ll be on the road this spring. Really. I mean it this time :D

-Thanks everyone. I’ll be sure to send in pics when she’s finally finished.

12. Griz says:

-Thanks everyone. I’ll be sure to send in pics when she’s finally finished.

13. El Gaucho says:

Best bang for the buck, for sure.

14. CruzBoos says:

She ain’t a Cheetah girl that would demand a high toll but she’ll do you on 42nd St anytime and that’s the name of the game. Whenever you are ready to roll .. she’s there for you and willing to play.

15. Griz says:

48 miles on her to date for shakedown. No issues. Tracks true. Goes straight down the road without hands on the bars. It’s never-ending; tweak this, replace that. Cold start on the 2nd kick. Warm start on the first. The seat shock has been a back saver. High pain levels prohibit long rides but the sprung seat enabled a 16 mile ride last week. A record for me the past few years. I smile every time I see her sittin in the shop. So encouraged how she turned out that I picked up a ’66 Sporty project with a springer front end that I’ll be chopping. But again, it’s never-ending. She puts a big ole grin on my face but there’s so much to improve upon. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and encouragement.

-Thanks