fibreglass sidecar xs650

fibreglass sidecar xs650
Rich - Short story, in the late 50′s/ early 60′s my dad had a business making a fibreglass sidecar of his own design called a Clarendon and after a 25year search I found one !! This was duly restored to as near as original spec as possible but what to attach it too? I decided to do a combination of my dads work and mine, so a mildly customised/aged XS650 was born.
a2012 9765 600x371 fibreglass sidecar xs650
The bike has the rear subframe lowered & shortened otherwise the frame is standard, wire wheels were fitted to get an older look. A dummy oil tank holds all the electrics and the copper tube ‘oil lines’ hide the wiring. All the switchgear has been converted to levers connected to relays, the bar-end ones operate the horn & main/dip beam and the ‘choke’ lever turns the lights on/off.
a20120427 600x342 fibreglass sidecar xs650
a20120431 600x328 fibreglass sidecar xs650
With a lot of help from people on ‘Britchopper’ (a custom bike forum) the bike also got a one off wooden headlight, a wood number plate holder and a leather seat.
a2012hjk 600x362 fibreglass sidecar xs650
Have now upgraded the frontend to a set of leading links, with much improved handling. Rich

Get the latest posts delivered via Email:

xscharge
hinge
zombie
Hugh-Ad-2

19 Responses to fibreglass sidecar xs650

1. Hans from Holland May 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

Hello Rich,
    What a great combination !!! Never heard of a Clarendon sidecar, this must be one of the first fibreglass sidecars I think. What surprises me that you haven’t install a steeringdemper, no problems in steering at low speeds?
    I ride sidecar for about 15 years and really love this way of biking. For all the European sidecarfans; in August is again the Eurogespann meeting in Germany, really a place to be.
    Last year 1000 sidecars appeared on this huge meeting.
    Wish you a lot of fun miles on your XS 650 !!!!

2. turdherder May 15, 2013 at 4:13 am #

Looks like it will be a lot of fun and a nice clean job! Enjoy!!!

3. Björn May 15, 2013 at 4:14 am #

Lovely bike and a wonderful sidecar…..nice work..!!

4. Barney May 15, 2013 at 8:10 am #

Very cool story and very unique ideas on the bike. What does your dad think about it?

5. Pickles May 15, 2013 at 9:21 am #

A beautiful custom combination! Truly, a handcrafted work of art.

6. ed May 15, 2013 at 9:36 am #

nicely done! love the copper piping.

7. guill May 15, 2013 at 9:39 am #

very cool bike and sidecar!! i want one!!!

8. Buck May 15, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Nice build. Your rig looks great. Very sweet looking sidecar. The leading link forks look great. XS650 with a hack , what a great combination.

9. Ted H May 15, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Nice, Real Nice always wanted to see a sidecar on an XS Did I say Nice
    Real Nice

10. Rich May 15, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Thanks for the nice comments

Hans – the sidecar was first built circa 1960, the tele fork version did have a steering damper (just visable left side under the tank). With the leading links – no wobble yet and can easily control the outfit with one hand on the bars

Barney – My dad is well impressed, he didn’t think I’d even find one – approx 30 made

11. Steve H May 15, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Cool sidecar, are the molds still around?:

12. Lou May 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

A wood turned headlight! Neat!

13. Max Rippage May 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

That is a sharp sidecar!

14. Brendan_mp May 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Very, very, cool. It has almost a steam punk feel with the wood and copper. Thanks for posting it.

15. Mike S May 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

I really like the stance of the bike. What mods did you do to the frame??

16. Hans from Holland May 17, 2013 at 4:30 am #

Rich,
    Got a question for you, maybe you know I’m editor of the Dutch XS 650 magazine ‘ 653′ and really like to write an article about your great ride.
    Hope you like that idea ( and see it as a honour….) Would you be so kind to write some lines about your sidecarcombi and send some pics??
    Over 600 readers of our Dutch XS 650 club will be pleased I’ ll be sure.
    If you would, drop me a mail at hansxs650@planet.nl

17. Rich May 17, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Again cheers for comments & to answer some questions.
    Steve H – sadly the molds are gone forever
    Mike S – the seat rails were cut out and replaced with parts chopped off a dead Z650 frame, dropping the seat height by approx 30mm. Rear section of frame also cut off, the ends blanked off and a new cross brace welded in. What really helped in doing the back end was not having to mount the number plate on the bike, posistioned between the bike & sidecar.

18. Capt_Zoom May 18, 2013 at 8:39 pm #

Great bike. Very cool that you could combine your dad’s past vision/passion with your own.

I love the wooden headlight. My father-in-law has been trying to get me to make a wooden accent bobber. I’ll have to show him yours.

19. Mark Dalton May 23, 2013 at 9:38 pm #

What a brilliant setup.
    Why not help your dad build new moulds for the sidecar,great legacy to leave behind.Sure it would sell well too.