Classic Hard Tail

a2012-noid-IMG_2223

I have been riding motorcycles for the past 7 years; however, I had never built a motorcycle before. I am a welder by trade, and have had years of mechanical experience…so I decided to start the search for a XS650 to build off of. After over a year of searching, I found the perfect donor bike. I bought it for $500 with approx 7,000 km’s on the original bike.

I started by taking apart the entire bike, right down to the frame. I had a picture in my head of what I wanted the bike to look like….I wanted a classic looking hard tail build. I wanted mid controls and drag bars.
a2012-noid-IMG_3173

I welded up a TC Bros hard tail kit on it because I didn’t have the time to make my own tail section. After painting the frame and motor in my parents garage, I laced up the wheels with new spokes, and put on new tires. I lowered the forks by 2 inches and shaved the forks completely and installed new All Balls bearings.I assembled the front of the bike with TC Bros Drag Bars and a mini speedo with odometer and one bar end mirror. I then custom painted the sportster tank and fender (rear fender is the stock front fender).

a2012-noid-05242012201

I installed a mini Shorai battery in the custom battery box that I made my hand and had a friend run all new wires for me…taking out everything that I did not need. A new headlight was installed, along with new mini LED signals- front and rear.

a2012-noid-IMG_3191

It has a Hughs PMA to keep the battery charged too. The leather seat is custom made by my dad and turned out incredible. If you know your way around tools, I highly suggest taking on this challenge! It took a total of about 8 months off and on to build and I am very happy with the final product…thanks for looking!

Comments

1. ken says:

nice build man

2. Adam says:

what kind of rear fender is that? nice bike very clean!

3. Alex says:

Amazing bike!!! If you ever want to sell her or think of building one for a customer let me know!!!

4. Ben says:

Is this the bike for sale on kijiji in Vancouver ?

5. Be proud. Nice work, you and your dad. I am a artist first, second would be (currently) a welder and fabricator. 90% preparation 10% perspiration is wise.
    If you have the passion, the skills of welding are of great value but like a old style camera that the operator had to be technically able, skill is nothing without vision.
    I do not follow trends.
    You may want to develop metal forming (sheet metal)
    It is not magic, I work with simple tools and get the results I want. Self taught.
    My website is chopperworks.ca if interested.

6. El Gaucho says:

simple but clean. I’d ride the hell out of it. I’m doing an 18″ rear wheel on my next build as well and I’m having a hell of a time finding a vintage looking tire that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

7. Bryce says:

Thanks a lot for the comment.

I did end up selling it a while back actually and have been missing it ever since…it will soon be time to build another!

I would be interested in a commissioned build, but at this time I am in rehab for a blown out back. So once I get better, I’ll be back in the saddle!

8. Bryce says:

the rear fender is actually the stock fender that was chopped and welded.

9. bryce says:

My website is: brscreations.weebly.com if you want to see more pictures of the build and other projects. Thanks for all the comments and views!