74 street tracker

IMG_9743 2014

Quinn – I bought three non running basket case xs650’s for $1050 ( a 72, 74 and 79). I had owned and ridden bikes for years but never did any of the the work myself – these bikes changed all of that. The 74′ motor was shot but the 79 still kicked over. The problem was the 79 had a lot of back fees with the CA DMV. So I used the 74 frame and the transplanted the 79 motor. I bought the seat pan and the tank  (“750 Champion”) from Omars along with the rear hub assembly which allowed me to run the 19” wheel out back to match the front – both on Avon Roadriders.

IMG_9740 2014 IMG_9746 2014

I liked the look for the mags and for around $75 on ebay you really can’t go wrong.  Satin powder coat for the wheels and a lot of trim including the foot controls and gloss black on the frame.  I went with a PMA and Pamco setup, and completely rewired the bike from scratch (thanks to the guys who have posted simple wiring diagrams on the net).  Stock springs up from and progressives out back.

IMG_9744 2014

IMG_9751 2014

I road the bike for a while without getting into the motor but when it started to go south I took it to Gary Swan at Toad Town Racing (This guy has been racing and building Flat Trackers and race bikes for years!).  Not only does this bike now run amazing but he did it in a timely manner – thanks Gary!

IMG_9742 2014

Being my first build I can definitely say that it was a test of my fortitude and ability, but in the end well worth it!  I absolutely love riding this bike, and can’t wait to get started on the 72 that’s in the corner of the garage…

Quinn
Los Angeles, CA

Comments

1. Fanoboss says:

PERFECTO

2. jorn says:

Nice nice

3. Glenn Baringer says:

Your bike is gorgeous!
    I just picked up an 81 special and plan on building pretty much the same bike. I got it for 900 and it is in excellent condition chrome and all so will be parting out stuff wont need. You mentioned the wiring on your bike which is one thing I’m going to have trouble with. Can you direct me to a place I can get a simplified drawing of how to do it? Also , in a few years I’m going to want motor rebuilt like you…obviously more power, I’d like the number of who did yours please, thanks
    Glenn

4. Biker Mike says:

That’s a great looking bike, love those 1970’s Yamaha graphics. Well done!

5. Quinn says:

Hey Glenn, I tried leaving info a few times but it keeps getting rejected – maybe because i included some links. Anyway just google XS650 wiring harnesses and you’ll find all kinds of diagrams online. It also will depend on if you are going to stay with the original points setup or go to a Pamco and PMA.

Here’s Gary Swan’s info…
    Toad Town Racing
    818-891-0330

Good luck!

6. rafael says:

what kind of carbs are you running ? do you know what jets you have in them ? what setup do you have if you don’t mind me asking.

7. Quinn says:

Hi,

I’m running Mikuni VM34mm Round Slide Carb Kit from 650 central. Not sure about the jetting – Michael pre-jets them for you. They work great!
    650central.com