xs650 Retro Bob 2

noid-photo0159

Hey guys this is my second post. So here she is gents. My 1979 xs650 twin. Shes a total bute aint she. This is my first ever motorcycle project. Im 18 and pretty happy to of discovered something so awesome at a young age.  So far I have stripped it all down and built it back with the most basic wiring known to man. hahah. Basically I have a positive wire going from my battery to a fuse box where there are two fuses, one to the headlight/tailight, and the other to the pamco starter. It all turns on by the flip of a switch. No key start yet. Its almost done, I just ordered a huge load of parts off of ebay to finish her up. I have found a whole lot more out about my bike then my last post. I have found that my bike isn’t a 74 tx650 but it is a 79 xs650. Well here you go.

noid-photo0156

noid-photo0153

Thanks Sam

Comments

1. Ted says:

looks a good start man. deadly send in more pictures when you get it all wrapped up.

2. Bobby Joe Fong says:

That tank is perfect.

3. Em says:

Wow that’s way interesting to me cuz your frame has the stock pieces welded back into it that the footpegs and brake pedal go on. Sure would love to see some closeups of that part. Like right behind the engine and before the back tire….those pieces that go up from bottom rail way back to top rail and join main downtube in a “v”. I’m trying to figure out how to get that done neatly. Did you weld your frame yourself? Anyway very cool bike!

4. sam says:

thanks guys for the input. The frame I had actually purchased as is. I will definitely post more pictures when Im done. I just painted it all. Looks pretty bad a!@. Also to the fong brothers, you guys rule. I love all of your bikes. theyre my insperation.

5. collin says:

I love that frame. I’m about to start on my own bike. First one ever. Do you mind if I ask where you found it? (Not trying to bite your style I swear!) Im looking for a good hardtail frame since I cant do much welding though. I love that bike. Great job.

6. Teebs says:

You have a great start. Keep the pics coming as you progress.

That looks like a Black Widow Choppers tail, but I could be wrong. I heard some bad stuff about them (nothing first hand though, so you know how that is.) Anybody have any direct experience or knowledge of those? Their site is now defunct so I’m assuming they’re out of business.

Collin, TC Bros do a nice job on their hardtails and you can send your frame in and have it hardtailed for a very reasonable price. Ardcore choppers also do a nice job, but it costs a bit more. You should also check your local area, you may be surprised to find somebody local already doing this kind of work. If you’re not an experienced welder, I’m glad to hear you’re smart enough not to try doing this yourself.

Sam, keep it coming!

7. Chris says:

Very nice, I saw the YouTube videos of the start up…. the paint looks really good in the video.

I’m about to start on my own XS650 hardtail project. Keep the pics and the videos coming, and stay safe out there once you get her fully done and on the road.

8. Branden says:

looks good!! i think we have the same tank lol or its very simaler. Did you leave the tank raw and sexy lol or did ya paint it 🙁 anyways its a good looking clean bike. To Collin check out elswickcycles.com if ya need any help let me know I get there hardtails from them a lil cheaper.
    ~Branden

9. Rusty Nutz says:

Yep I definitely like the stripped down look before the fenders and directionals go on.

10. Andy says:

Love the bike. The simple and clean look is the best. Can you please send me an email and tell me how you went about getting your bike in the shape it’s in today? genuinedre@yahoo.com. hope to here from you.

Andy from MA

11. sean from boston says:

this bike is great, really cool to see builds coming from kids around my age very nicely done

12. norm younger says:

Where did you get the tank?