Bare Bones Budget Bobber

noid-p8090461

Hey guy’s I recently started working on my chopper that’s been in the making for the past five years.  However it’s a rigid softail frame with harley forks that I got from a friend that had a chopper shop. The gas tank is a peanut sporty tank and the wheels are from jirehcycles.com.  I originally wanted to save money for a harley motor but was searching on youtube and found movies from other guys who had chopped 650xs bikes and made them look quite bonzer.

noid-p8090462

So I decided to crap the idea of having a chopper that looked like all the other choppers around and started looking for a motor and parts for a 650xs.  I found the motor on ebay for 200 bucks and all the fab work was done in my mom’s/step dad’s garage. I cut away all the motor mounts that were originally welded to the frame so that the new motor could fit and as soon as the motor arrived it was all day and night to get it to this point.

noid-p80904631

The seat is from anvil customs whick will sit on two inch springs that I’ll get next week.  I dont plan on covering the seat with anything but maybe I dont know yet.  Even though i did spend some money with the frame and all the chrome I didn’t want to spend anymore money so doing all the fab work myself was the only way to save the most amount of money possible.

noid-p8090465

I plan on starting the wiring tomorrow, wraping the headers with white header tape, mounting the headlight, and a couple other things.  All of the pic’s that I’ve looked at on this website really do the 650xs chopper justice.  Let me know what you think and if you have any question just ask.  I usually check the website every other day.

Thanks

Chad McKenzie

Comments

1. Brian says:

Nice start, I am also building a 200 rigid xs650 chopper. I am running Gary Poh’s offset kit, what are you using?

2. Teebs says:

Nice looking frame. Not really sure if rigid and softail can be used in conjunction with one another… lol

Since the frame wasn’t originally set up for an xs650 drive, have you decided on a solution for lining up the front and rear sprockets?

Nice score, it’s looking good. Keep at it and keep us posted. I’m looking forward to seeing this finished.

3. Hesh says:

Whats bonzer mean? ha ha
    Keep it up, the work that is!

4. tadd442 says:

whereja score the oil tank?

5. chad says:

Hey guys thanks for the comments and as for the chrome oil tank I got it from jirehcycles.com. I decided that with a natural motor that the chrome oil tank wouldn’t look that great so I took a drimmle with the sanding attachment and just gave the tank a little sanding. Looks good to me.

6. BillyBobba says:

Bonza mate! Worth the hard work.

7. Dane says:

I love it. Keep us updated

8. blackwidow says:

Nice stance on that thing looks perfect

9. stealthy says:

is that a weld on hardtail? what kind? an what size tire? i like the bike alot!

10. Damonic says:

Looks gooooood. I dig the low budget builds and it looks great.

11. Evan says:

id love to have this frame in my garage right now, great looking bike

12. Chad says:

Thanks alot for the good post everyone. The bike is finished and rides like a dream but the rear sprocket that i have is way toooo big and doesn’t let me go any faster than 50mph, so I’ve got a new one on the way that has 34 teeth instead of the harley one that has a monster 49 teeth. The rear tire is a 200 series, the frame i got from jirehcycles.com that’s made for an evo motor but with a little cutting and drilling i made the motor fit. Wow she’s really loud and the state trooper that lives down the street always comes running out when he hears me coming down the street to say slow down but I ust keep on going, smile, ans wave back. Damn I’m mean.

13. mike says:

Can we see some of the finished pics. Thanks

14. REEB! says:

Flat black the way to go!

15. David jr says:

Dude, its pretty much bobber, I wonder if you made ​​the frame or already bought it ready?

If you have already done it, send some pictures by email.

Hugs.

This is cool bike I’d love to see it now. The risers are a little distracting, imho.

17. Garry says:

Nice one dude. I just scored a nice rigid basket case with HEAPS already done . Love em. Second one and last . Ill never sell it . Had one the same at 21 and at 45 just found a nicer one after searching all that time . Nothing I liked till now . Have a look at mine in a week . They said it will take that long to appear. I also got two more in bits and am going to make a rigid cafe racer ad a sprung one too. I have two turbo rx7’s too. (Fc3s Porsche 944 shape sorta but better) and believe we can never have too many toys . I’ve got a trail bike and a motorhome too. Lol