The twins

noid-img_1068

Write about your XS650.: So the last bike I built (the green one) got my Dad to thinking that I should make one for him.  He lives in California and I live in Michigan though, so we built this one in three months so he could join me to check out the dream cruise together. noid-img_1093

noid-img_4941

21 front and rear, old narrow dirt bike front end.  Here’s the funny thing though- this is way quicker than the other bike, and they are basically the same…

noid-img_4937

noid-img_4942

same motor, headers, exhaust, etc…  Its been driving me crazy to figure out why. One of them is getting sold in the spring to pay for preschool- so get the word out!

justin

justins-bratstyle-xs650-bobber/ the twins

Comments

1. Ted says:

NICE.. My guess would be if everything is adjusted and your electronics are all in order, it sounds like a carb issue. Did you check the position of your needle jets?

2. justin says:

Yeah I have been playing with my carbs ever since I’ve had the green one running. Its a 76, the mains are 127.5, pilot is 30, needle is at 3, mix screw is about 2 out.

Every time I think it runs great, then I ride the black one, and I am forced back to the work bench with the carbs…someday.

3. RevCain says:

man your stuff is cool justin. what kind of headlight is on your dad’s bike, what type shocks did you use?

4. josh says:

i’ve searched everywhere for a yellow lens headlight. would you be willing to share with me where you got yours?

5. Rob S. says:

Man I’m sure you know it but damn that black bike is just a beauty. I’ve been trying to get on building my XS for like 3 months now , but just have been to lazy. This might be my motivation. lol

6. Rob says:

In regards to why the black one is faster, this may sound dumb and probably is but larger diameter wheels (coming from a pushbike background) roll faster and narrower accelerate quicker… that could have something to do with it.

It looks amazing by the way, i’ve been toying with the idea of two 21’s on my xs

7. Nate says:

I am really diggin’ the simplicity of the black bike..makes me wanna find a dirt oval and get sideways..

8. justin says:

Thanks! headlight is an old chevy 5 1/2 fog light (guide). I’ve thought about the difference having a big skinny rear would make…you might be right…

9. Hesh says:

That new build is one of the coolest brat’s I have seen! Great job!

10. Larry says:

An old Guide fog light – wow! I worked there for 20 years to the day. Now that mile wide factory is torn down. Lots of good memories….

11. johnny utah says:

cool bike man! LETS RIDE DCBFFDCB!

12. bob parsley says:

That green bike was the wall paper on my computer for a month. I cant believe I would have an opportunity to own it.

13. Jon says:

Nice bikes. I’m thinking about doing either 21’s on my next bike and do the old board tracker look or do a fat tire custom with a monster front end.

The bike with the 21’s is quicker due to the larger rear wheel diameter, larger wheel = more torque off the line, but lower top end speeds so you’d take his bike in the long run if you were to keep racing. Plus his rear wheel weighs less than yours due to having less rubber on the tire so less mass for the motor to spin up.

14. Ralph Napolitano says:

Awesome bikes Justin. I love what you’ve done with the rear section of the frames. Are the swingarms stock length or longer?

15. Christel from Kansas says:

You Rock or your bikes Rock. No you both Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to see what you build next!

16. justin says:

Thanks for the nice words.
    Swing arm is stock on both.
    Laced a 21 hoop to the original rear hub for the rear and no fitment issues.
    Front end is off a dt 250- nice and slim although i had to swap stems (pita)
    Captain awesome- I am laughing out loud at your comment! I actually went off my sons bike ramp today- well, HE liked it…

17. BillyBobba says:

Nice and Grungy! Enjoy the ride.

18. Paul Wassif says:

Hey Justin…really nice bikes…is there a way of getting in touch with you…I’d like to see how you rigged the rear mudguard/frame/swing arm…I’m having a couple of ‘issues’ in that area!!
    Thanks man.

19. Joseph says:

What is the rear shocks from that you used for your builds?
    Never got answered?

20. Justin says:

Paul- hit me up through chopcult.com- my name is howiejdog on there.
    I’d be happy to be as helpful as I can.
    Joseph- rear shocks are 10″- off a savage I think…

21. chris says:

so did you sell one? email me if you haven’t yet-
    [email protected]