79 Bratstyle – Gravel Crew

noid-blue_bike

This is a 1979 Yamaha XS650. It is 90% complete. The guy I bought it from wanted to build this bike in the style of two of his favorite Japanese builders, Bratstyle & Gravel Crew.  This bike was stripped down to the bare frame. All unused tabs were cut off, blasted and then powdercoated gloss black. The tank is an old peanut tank stamped “made in England” on the tunnel. Custom made seat pan and a local guy stitched up the custom cover. The side covers were also custom made to hide the battery and electrical. The coils mount below the battery which sits in the stock postion below the seat.

noid-blue_bike2

noid-blue_bike4

The regulator/rectifier is mounted in front of the coils on the backbone. The frontend is lowered 2″ and the rear is lowered 1.5″ with new shocks.  5″ headlight.  Mufflers are Triumph style that are welded to the stock headers. Fork lowers and wheels have been stripped of the factory clear coat and hand polished as well as the motor cases.

noid-blue_bike5

noid-blue_bike6

Tires are firestone vintage replicas. 400-19 front and 500-16 rear mounted on the stock rims. The paint on the bike is rattle can metallic blue over a metallic silver base with a clear coat sprayed on top. It looks pretty damn good!  This bike is gonna be a nice clean ride when finished.

Rola Cola

Comments

1. PJ says:

Looks good. Clean and simple. What are the rear shocks?

2. BykerBrad says:

Very cool bike. That was Josh’s from G&L Choppers. He also has the green frisco style bike that is on here somewhere. I saw when he had that on ebay. Always liked that bratstyle look and Josh certainly did a good job accomplishing that. Hope you enjoy it, its an awesome looking ride.

3. reynoldburton says:

Clean bike. I like the invisible carbs – where did you get them? 🙂
    Really simple & nice. Rattlecan paintjob looks awesome too!

4. Blackwidow says:

clean brat I love the tank

5. Tech7 says:

Wicked cool ride. Love the look. Vintage tires are way cool. My only question is why spend the money on powdercoat on the frame and custom stitch seat, and rattle can the tin? It might look good for now, but eventually… (been there)

6. Fip says:

Ted did you have to pull the motor to do the frame mods?

7. josh says:

hey this is my old scooter!! Although I sold it unfinished to buy my 49 plymouth I really liked this old girl! I hope you got it running? Is this the dude in Michigan that I sold it to?

Also, I took the bike completely apart to grind off the unwanted frame tabs, etc and to clean, paint and polish the motor.

This was a budget build for me and that is why I powdercoated the frame and rattle canned the tins (for the time being was the plan) you can unbolt the tins in a matter of minutes to repaint the tins. That was my thinking. glad you guys dig it! I hope she is out running the roads somewhere. It deserves to be!

8. tapp says:

you still got this bike? if so- I got a couple of questions- will you email me ?
    [email protected] tapp

9. salomy says:

hey i am doing a same style kinda bike and was wondering wer you got them handle bars? i dig them

10. fastwrx12000 says:

where did you get the tires?

11. Mellow yellow says:

Anyone know where those mufflers came from?

12. norm younger says: