JUST GOT MY WINTER PROJECT!

GE DIGITAL CAMERA

Hey Guys, I’m new to this…so bear with… I just got my xs650 it’s a 1980 not sure what model, but it is just what I wanted. Spoke wheels with a 16″rear wheel . The tires were bald so I just put on new prelli tires, with the biggest tire that would fit in the rear. Wow just the tires made the bike look way better. So It’s totally stock as far as I can tell, but I have big plans this winter to build the bike of my dreams…

GE DIGITAL CAMERA

GE DIGITAL CAMERA

I have a bad back so I plan to stick with the rear shocks, but I want to lower the bike by lengthening the swing-arm around four inches and I will leave the shock mounts where they are so I can get more tilt to the shocks and that bad-ass lowered look.

GE DIGITAL CAMERA

I want to lower the seat by chopping out the frame above the air box and battery and weld in some new tubes and of course a new seat. I’m also thinking that I want to ditch the old handlebars and go with some clip-on drag style bars. I think it’s way cool to have a hand gear shift so I’ll have to figure tha
t out too. So I’d love any Ideas to help with this project.
Lars

Comments

1. Earz says:

That thing is pretty f’n clean for it’s age. Congrats on the purchase and keep us updated as you make changes.

2. anthony says:

That’s super clean man. Where u at in Washington? I’m up in the maple valley/Covington area

3. sean from boston says:

nice clean ride for sure!! Nice choice with the spoked rims, and your right the new rear tire does make a big difference. My best advice is if your new to all of this maybe buy the BRAT kit that someone on here offers Its a good price in comparison to a hard tail kit, Maybe a mustang tank or a sportster tank as well as a single seat? but It all comes in time and If you have a bad back and hunching over hurts maybe a set of mini apes or “z” bars would be better than Drag bars so it was a better hight? But good luck with the build!

4. Tebo says:

That’s a great catch, man. Sean from Boston has the right idea. A brat kit would give it a ‘Visual Impact’. Washington Choppers (.com) has a lot of aftermarket tanks, and they’re probably right in your neighborhood. There’s some bikes on this site that’ll give you plenty of ideas, especially “Tidy Whitey” if you’re looking for that old-school, drop-seat, badass lowered brat-style bobber. But don’t make it look “just like thiers”. Make it just like yours. And keep us posted.

5. mookie says:

FIND ANOTHER ONE THAT IS ROUGH AND LEAVE THIS CHERRY STOCK!!!
    don’t chop it-preserve it.

6. mike lytle says:

Mookie, you have a point, but these bikes in there stock configuration are crap to ride. they are to heavy, too straight up , and corner like crap. i have a 1980 also and i’m in the process of hardtailing it. i haven’t ridin an xs 650 hardtailed yet but it can’t be worse than a stock bike……just sayin……