Finally finished! Ryans 1979 xs 650/Triumph

xs650-chop-noid-bike1

I got this bike from a guy that had it on craigslist.  the ad said ” motorcyle for sale 650 on different frame” haha so I called him and went to check it out. I was amazed when I got there and it had tons of potential. The guy was older and told me it was something he just didnt have time to complete but he said he had the frame a long time and that it was from a triumph. He told me the frame was a 1952 preunit factory hardtail… Wether thats true or not I do not know but the stamping on the frame is old and begins with a T so who knows.

xs650-chop-noid-bike2

Anyhow the donor xs was in good shape and the running gear only had 13,601 miles on it and was freshened up at around 6000. SO I took the bike home and began the build. I had to fabricate the all the mounts for engine, seat, fork stops etc because the ones on the frame did not line up. So that took a while. I stripped the factory XS wire wheels of there clear coat and polished the lips, then chassis coated the inside along with the frame. I put a mustang style tank on with the black and orange paint scheme.

xs650-chop-noid-bike3

I wanted to do something different with the bars so I ended up ditching the 7/8 mounts and got a harley 1″ mount, I cut the top plate and smoothed it, got longer bolts to mount to the top tree and bam fit like a glove! I got some sweet 8″ rise Z bars from Road 6 Customs and slapped those on. My dad had a brake master and clutch setup from his Dyna harley so I was able to use that.

xs650-chop-noid-bike4

The harley brake line worked mint as well.Nice blade styles levers. As for the clutch I modifed the harley clutch cable to fit and just opened the hole on the side cover a little for the nipple to fit. It literally could not work ANY better. Its so smooth and effortless to pull compared to the stock xs setup. I then fabricated the pegs and brake pedal which is from high tensile chain, which i thing is kinda neat.

xs650-chop-noid-bike5

The pegs are made from big bolts with big nuts threaded on and tig’d together. Most of the smaller stuff is powdercoated. Almost all of the hardware is stainless, newly rebuilt fron caliper, new shoes in the back, solo seat with 3″ springs, mini turn signals for Johnny law, bates style stainless headlight, Duo stainless tailight on Road 6 Customs mount, new battery, new front tire and tube, rear was good. New points and condensors, new plugs and wires, polished engine fins and painted hi-temp black. Theres more im sure but cant remember it all! Bike rides awesome and has great power.

Sounds good and goes great.

Comments

1. sean from boston says:

I saw this bike on CL recently i must say it is a GREAT looking bike you did a fantastic job and if it doesn’t sell enjoy the hell out of it seems like lots of hard work went into it,

good looking bike,

2. Ron says:

Nice bike man, good job… where are you from in Maine? I am from the Belfast area… getting ready to build another one for a buddy… R~

3. Ryan says:

Hey guys thanks for the compliments! I am up in the Rumford area. I dont want to part with it especially since I JUST finished it, but desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures, My wife is an RN and there isnt any work in the damn state. So we are packing up and heading out west where the job market is much better

4. Ryan says:

So how much do you think is a reasonable price for this thing?

5. Ron says:

Personally I would think 3500-3800 bucks… Maybe, possibly 4k if you had the right person… Look on ebay, might give you an idea.. I see them going there for on avg. around 3000-3200… but alot of those are not as nice as yours too.. just my opinion… what were u thinking?

6. Ryan says:

Well I have had people offer like 2900 3000 and a guy today offered like 2500. I feel as though its worth more than that! Thanks for the compliments again man! It makes me feel accomplished that people like it!

7. Ron says:

Oh yeah, it is a great feeling… I built mine and I have a line of people too build them for now… no you really did a good job, I can tell even in the pics.. nice lines, it flows well and not everyone has the eye for that. I am not sure where you are headed out west, but you might consider doing a few on the side for people… as far as the offers, I myself would hold out or dont sell it. Especally if this is your first build. It is worth more then that in my opinion. Keep it man. you will regret selling it, I garuntee it. Toss it in a trailer and haul it out there! Just grab a uhaul toy hauler and hit the road!! Seriously think it over. Once it is gone its gone…

8. Blackwidow says:

Looks great keep choppin

9. hooversama says:

I bought and sold “a metric chopper” thats on this site for $4,800. Don’t give your bike away…..you’ll regret it.

10. Ryan says:

Thanks! Yeah I am def not going to GIVE it away thats for sure!

11. Ryan says:

Thanks!!! Yeah I am def not going to give it away thats for sure! Too much work!

12. john says:

Ryan,
    Good for you. I’m sorry that you are packing up and moving west for financial reasons, but it might be a defining moment in your lives. The west is blessed with a gene pool of adventurers like yourselves. Stop by in Show Low, Arizona. We are up in the mountains of eastern az. Lots of trees and clean air. We’re at 7,500 feet, so bring some smaller jets. There are lots of retired folks from down in the valley (phoenix) so lots of jobs in the medical field. We have a big hospital and several clinics. Good luck, brother.

13. john says:

OOPS, I just noticed that this post is a year old. Well, Ryan, I hope things worked out for your family.