Pheonixs

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_9584

Times have been Fookin hard this last year and a half. We were victims of the station fire that roared through So Cal last August and the only thing that survived was my girls GS 550 and my XS 650. Well parts of… I had enough time to push the bikes into the elephant barn as we evacuated the animals. 5 days later I was allowed by the CHP to come home. See the enclosed pics as to what i came home to. Nothing left. Truck burned, Car burned, House gone, Shop gone, tools gone.
xs650-chop-noid-IMG_9592
The 2 bikes were all that survived from a lifetime of work. So I started the rebuild of my life. Insurance company stiffed us and left me with fuck all. So I moved north and managed to find part time work at the place i am at now. I only have a pop up shelter to work in and  a lil trailer with a small selection of tools that i have gathered since the fire.
xs650-chop-noid-Gedc0728
The bike is a 78 XS 650, however very little was salvageable. So i pulled the motor, set up a frame jig and set to. I bought a hydrolic bender from Harbour freight and started wraping tubes around the motor. The back wheel is a gsxr 750 center withthe out side 2 edges of a BBR rim welded to it to go from an 17″ at 5.5″ to an 18″ at 10″. Thus being able to fit a 300 section Avon. The new tank was found on eGay and the front end was originally on a GSXR 1000. Going to run the original gsxr wheel with a 130, 90, 17.

xs650-chop-noid-Gedc0627
xs650-chop-noid-Gedc0618
Going to make the seat, brackets, bars and pipes as soon as i earn a little extra cash..

Thanks for the support and hope to see this soon.

xs650-chop-IMG_0410

Jaguar cub. 😀

Spud

www.cathaven.com

Comments

1. Hans from Holland says:

That’s a heartbreaking story Spud. Wish you all the luck in life starting from zero…
    Think building this bike is the best remedy to get it started. Hope everything will work out for you and gets a happy end !!!!

2. tadd442 says:

I bet the insurance company didn’t mind taking your money up till that point…..they should be outlawed.

Chin up….keep on, keepin on!

4. Joel Mekolites says:

sorry about the loss. your bike looks killer!

5. A.C. says:

Thangs happen for a reason. Your alive and will have a better bike ta boot.

6. Crappy deal about the fire loss, we almost got burnt out a couple years ago (so we moved)! but looks like you still have the important stuff and a nice start on your build. Good fortune to you & yours and we all look forward to pic’s of your progress & completed bike

7. JET36 says:

That Jag is making the same face the rest of us made when we saw the injected turbo charged XS.
    Frame looks cool, make sure to update

8. Coleen Sosa says:

9. Migustigus says:

Thanks guys and gals.. Be working on it over Xmas so will update soon..

10. Phoenix is an awesome name for this bike. Great story and a very unique bike. The rear tire and tank make it a standout.

11. Geezerman says:

Dam shame about the fire loss.
    The bike is looking killer !!!

12. David Powell says:

Bro..sorry about your losses.Man…you don’t quit! Your bike is looking killer.Good start to getting your life back to normal and I would like to see your progress on this bike as it goes along.I am just starting an xs project too.Keep going brother and you’ll be fine with your will.Aloha.

13. S.C. says:

I think A.C. is a insurance agent. Lol. You were all thinking it.I hope you keep us posted on the bike.I LOVE FRESH BUILDS.