Aussie Chop

xs650-chop-noid-xs_pics_006

G’day everyone, scored this bike free about 8 months ago in BAD condition…standard, but many parts missing, rusty, siezed engine etc. But i always wanted to dick around with one of these and the price was right. So i eventually got it to run first, then with a little inspiration from this sensational web site…started chopping.

xs650-chop-noid-water_damage_&_xs_014

xs650-chop-noid-xs_pics_010

xs650-chop-noid-xs_pics_011

Everything on this bike, frame work, tank, seat, wheel covers, etc.was done by yours truly. this is my first build and i hope you all get something out of it as i have from your bikes, thanks for looking and any comment welcomed.

guy walsh

Comments

1. Sean from boston says:

Well guy walsh I love the over all look of the bike I think it came out great for a first build scratch that a great lOoking bike for any number build, I love the rear wheel cover, I think a nice paint job would really top this bike off nicely

2. Guy says:

WOW!!! I was hoping you would coment Sean from boston.I’m QUITE FAMILIAR with this web site, and also familiar with your “KEEPING IT REAL” comments. Yes, paint has got me stumped which way to go. I’m in the automotive smash industry so the choices are endless…but I’ve got a way’s to go yet before I reach that hurdle!!!

3. Fabbastard says:

this is just to SICK I love it! can’t wait to see it done…

4. Joe says:

WOW! I think the thing I like best is……….EVERYTHING!

MADD MAXX

6. Shane Ryans says:

Strait flat black I think would finish this bike up nicely… Would like to see this done!

7. Guy says:

Mate I’m like a gigglyy little school girl getting such comments from fabbarstard, joe, fanoboss, etc… gman, I’m on the outskirts of wodonga vic, Baranduda.If there is anyone out there reading this from this general area with a xs 650 or project etc, it would be great to have a chat and swap ideas. And Shane, even though I have several full paint systems at my disposal, 3-layer pearls, metal flakes, etc…matt black still is up there for me too!!!

8. adam says:

damn thats a sweeeet looking bike.i never thought of the wheel cover idea.awesome!

9. Visimpact says:

Lovin the Back wheel cover,tank and seat. Good stuff so far can’t wait to see it done.

10. GRTFLDD says:

saved, and reborn, you really pushed this piece-o-metal art

11. Guy says:

Thanx heaps everyone. I’m sorting out a R/H side jockey shift as well as keeping the foot change. The hand shifter is going to be up beside the tank (not far from the throttle!!!) and keep the clutch lever as per usual. And so many ideas for the exhausts!!! would it be wrong to have 3 different sets for one bike? the bars get changed every month!!!

12. shawn says:

looks like a killer death machine..awesome!

13. patrix says:

THAT tank transition to the backbone is beautiful……and the rear wheel hub is tastefully executed. BRILLIANT….can’t wait to see some color if that’s where you’re going with it!

14. joe speedboat says:

That’s bloody sweet! No paint at all!! Looks great as it is. did you make the wheelcover from scratch?

15. Guy says:

Thanx guys, HA HA…KILLER DEATH DEATH MACHINE, I like that!!! PATRIX, thanks for the kind words, glad you like it mate.& Speedboat, I don’t mind the raw metal look either, and yes i made the wheel covers up out of 1.2mm alloy sheet ( sorry, not quite sure what that is imperial or other measure ) heap of measuring, hole-saw, and a flangeing tool I made especially for the job (and seat holes). and gman, I’m going the club-rego route with this bike for a couple of reasons, I already have a full rego zr 1100 (zephyr) plus 2 car regos (wife,family etc) I STILL HAVE TO GET IT ENGINEERED, but I have it on good authority with club reg they’re a little more laxed (my work uses one from time to time)

16. billybobber says:

Mate, some nice metalwork here, a rear mudguard would go a long way in both safety and rego hassles, good luck with that.

17. Ole bastard says:

”Leave lt raw metal”.Then clear lt.It would look bad ass.

18. Guy says:

You’ve damn near convinced me ole bastard, especially after seeing Jason Harrills xs 650…that bike has really sat me on my arse!!!

19. Mark Whitty says:

Love your bike Guy, I have been looking for inspiration for a while and just got overloaded with hardtails and the like until I seen this baby, for me its the perfect blend of bratstyle and chop and Ill definitly need shocks on Irish roads. So mate I hope you dont mind if I copy a few of your ideas into my own project, also I have a few questions…how much did you extend the swingarm by, are you using the stock shocks…and when is the next update?????

20. Guy says:

SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY MARK, I’VE ONLY BEEN CHECKING IN ON THE LATEST POSTS, AND THOUGHT HMMMM, WONDER IF ANYONES LEFT ANYMORE COMMENTS. THE SWINGARM STRETCH WAS 4 INCHS, AND YES I USED THE STANDARD SHOCKS. TO WORK MY SWINGARM LENTH, I HAD THE ALREADY CUT SWINGARM BOLTED BACK INTO THE FRAME (WITH BIKE UP ON BLOCKS TO DESIRED HEIGHT)THEN ROLLED THE BACK WHEEL (WITH SWINGARM-ENDS BOLTED INTO THE AXEL) TO THE POSITION I FELT LOOKED BEST FOR THE BIKE, THEN MADE THE MEASUREMENTS FOR THE EXTENTIONS.THANKS FOR THE KIND COMMENTS, YOU NEVER GET SICK OF HEARING THAT SOMEONE LIKES YOUR BIKE. IF THERES ANY MORE QUESTIONS I’M ONLY TO HAPPY TO HELP. I’D LOVE TO SEE A PROGRESS POST OF YOUR BIKE UP HERE!!!

21. norm younger says:

any pics of the finished bike?

22. Guy says:

NOT YET MATE…BUT SOON!!!

23. john says:

Guy, You have built a very unique ride. I’d sand blast the frame, pin stripe the tank, and flat clear coat everything. Then put boots on the fork tubes. The post-apacoliptic nitemare look would really work on this machine. Good on ya, mate. Well done. Now go have some shrimp on the barby.

24. Guy says:

SOUNDS PRETTY BLOODY GOOD TO ME MATE, I LIKE HOW YOU ROLL!!!

25. Pat Nice says:

Guy, she is stellar. I have many questions…. Mostly what to cut and wiring..? Mine won’t hold a charge. I want kick only and minimal head light and break….. Just lovethe war machine look…. Help…