Uncle Bear’s “Blast From The Past”

xs650-chop-noid-001

Found this old chopper on craigslist recently and had to have it. I gave it to my nephew after we unloaded it from the trailer. Now he has a cool project. He will be keeping the retro chopper theme as he rebuilds it and I will be his helper/mentor.

xs650-chop-noid-002

xs650-chop-noid-006

I will post pics again when it’s done. Later

Comments

1. Uncle Bear says:

Did a little research on some of the parts. The engine, wheels and frontend are 1971 XS1B. The frame is an “AEE Choppers” from back in the early 70s and the tank is made by “Avanti” in the USA.

WTG Unk !!!

3. patrix says:

My xs1b came to me with the same front end length….but not nearly as nice a frame as that…..have fun!!

4. Was the frame modified to fit the XS engine? If it’s an AEE I assume it was originally made for a bigtwin or trump? Great find. Have fun!

5. Barney says:

From the past is right. Looks like there is plenty of work to do on it. Can’t wait to see the finished product. Good luck.

6. Uncle Bear says:

It appears to be made for the xs after stripping frame of paint?

7. Fabbastard says:

Thats a pretty cool score, are you running with the seat or dumping it?

8. Uncle Bear says:

Haven’t decided on the seat yet, may run it on another project as I have several.

9. Sean from boston says:

Looks great! I love it as is, another one I’m excited to see done

10. Russ says:

HELL YES love them old choppers. Cant wait to see this one come alive again.

11. sean from boston says:

Hows the progress going on this thing? I hope that fridge is stocked with cold beer!

12. Uncle Bear says:

Well sean I ran into a bit of a snag. After stripping the old paint off we could see that the neck, backbone and downtubes were tweaked from a crash. So I have it in limbo until I finish up a couple of other bikes. I hope to have it going before winter?

13. Sean from boston says:

I’m sorry to hear that, bad luck man, I’m sure you and your nephew will get it fixed ok though, good luck with it!

14. Uncle Bear says:

Thanks.

15. Tables says:

Hey Uncle Bear, i remember reading your post and thinking to my self “hey that looks like my frame”.

16. Uncle Bear says:

Tables, they made this frame for the 70-71 xs650 as there was no lower rear motor mount until the 72 year. On mine the top rear engine case mounting tabs had broke and been re-welded. I suspect it was because there was no top engine mount to the frame when it was made, bad design? Yours should be okay, it looks like a previous owner added a top engine mount. On mine I will need to add a top engine mount if I run the 71 engine or add a rear lower engine mount to the frame if I run a 72-up engine. Later

17. Tables says:

Uncle Bear, funny you should say that, my top rear engine case mount has been repaired previously so I suspect you are right on the money with the top engine mount addition. At one point I was considering not using the top mount and was wondering if there would be any issues, in the end I decided to keep it there. After your insights I am glad I did. Keep the sun on your face.