XS650 Taint Splitter

xs650-chop-noid-Rside
I picked the bike up from a garage sale for $200 in really rough shape about 8 months ago. It had been stored outside for untold years but it was all there.  From there I decided this would great chance to make the hardtail that I was dreaming of.   From there I started the frame fab work 100% done in my garage.
xs650-chop-IMG00010-20110125-2140
The rear fender is handmade steel and the tank is a heavily modified sportster tank .  I tore the engine down to find it in excellent shape so I just freshened it up with parts from mikes xs and did a few case mods as well as the hand cut faux diamond cutting on the jugs and head. The exhaust is all stainless hand fabricated and metal finished.
xs650-chop-noid-Hlamp
All the paint, fab, mechanical, cnc milling and electrical was done right in my garage shop. The only thing that I did not do was mount and balance the tires.  Total build cost is under $1200 and maybe about 250 hours.
xs650-chop-noid-Rsidecarb
I haven’t had much chance to ride it other than a few icy rips through the neighborhood but this not being my first xs I was pleasantly surprised when I had to hold on( was much quicker than I expected )
xs650-chop-noid-taintsplitter
xs650-chop-runnin
The bicycle shock on the seat is awesome so far , it feels smoother than my swing arm bikes but still has the hardtail feel on the road. I have the build on my blog rasmoto.blogspot.com listed as eltigre because of the tiger stripes it came with.
xs650-chop-taint+splitter
I’m not a huge photo collector but there is enough there to get the picture.
Thanks again Ry

Everything done 100% in my garage shop.

Comments

1. tadd442 says:

make me a ribbed R.H. motor side cover?….seriously, How much?

2. tadd442 says:

oh, and I really dig yer bike!

3. Jason says:

You should sell the bolt on footpeg mounts. I can’t seem to find anything decent for sale anywhere. I’ve been looking everywhere for a set like the ones on this bike.

4. Sean from boston says:

Great bike and a nice paint job to boot!

5. Greg says:

now THAT is a gorgeous bike!

6. Mr Kaos form Australia says:

That’s a stylish looking bike man, I love the 2 tone paint and the fact that you are running a front fender.
    I was talking to a mate of mine yesterday saying I would like to use spanners as components on my bike and voila you have done it, as i was filing the fins on my heads yesterday I was wondering what it would look like with diamond cut look and voila, you ldid it again……get out of my headwill ya.
    I only got my bike last saturday, it is a full blown hardtail, stretched and raked chopper..old school, built in the late 70’s. After only about an hours work I was riding down the road. I will post it soon, amgoing to pull down and give a total rebuild…stay tuned.

7. wally wronka says:

You have done a fantastic job on your bike. Very well done.

Wally in Texas

8. Barney says:

Wow, nice bike! I like the paint job, the rear fender, and the kickstand and for that build price, it is pretty impressive. I have to agree with the pegs, i need a brass set.

9. patrix says:

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL features…..so many great ideas executed and coordinated into one “HOT” looking ride!!

10. what’s the deal with the engine fins? detail shot?

11. Fabbastard says:

Nice work man! Funky headlight too.

12. Hans from Holland says:

Superb ride, really great details. Color do the job also !!!!! Congratz Ry !!!!!

13. Ted says:

@ I_am_10_ninjas – check out his blog there are more detailed shots and close-ups of the engine.

BOING !!!!! Freekin awesum bike !!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT…the front fender rocks hard. Very 50’s !!!! Question: why didn’t you paint front fender? I love that you left it chrome.

15. Ry says:

Answers to some of the questions above:
    -The ribbed side cover is a plug welded on hand fabricated and machined part, I would need the side cover to make another and it would not be cheap, Did turn out nice though didn’t it.
    -The front fender is the stock original fender and I didn’t paint it because I liked the patina and old school look of it. I wouldn’t destroy such a nice piece with paint, I would have just made one or eliminated it all together.
    -I will look into making the peg mounts a sale item, they just bolt onto the original exhaust hanger mount location.
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

16. mini b says:

I was present for the majority of this build and can testify to the fact hat you could take a magnifying glass to this thing and have nothing to scrutinize. Seeing this bike evolve first-hand from the hideous tribute to 80’s rock to the masterpiece it is today was a real treat. Ry is one of my best friends and a true artist. I couldn’t be happier to see all of you give him the recognition he deserves. Thanks to all and especially Ry for my bike. Once again… another masterpiece!

17. mark says:

very cool bike need not say any more

18. Shane Ryans says:

Ted, What a ride, love the paint, it rocks!

19. Barney says:

Are those sight gauges on the tank and a nautical compass for the cap? Great detail.

20. J-Rod says:

This has got to be the best name I have ever heard in my life! I laughed my ass off!

21. Tony butler says:

Beautiful bike, you do good work.

22. Shane says:

great class it all goes together really good and just works and has great fabrication work on it love the ribbed cover and exhaust

23. davethewrench says:

Right On…..great build dude !!!! Love the drilled Alt cover….I did a very similar thing to mine….thought i was being unique, guess not LOL
    Very good Job, going to post new pics of my chop soon as I can get some nice pics down by the ocean