First XS build…and addicted!

SAMSUNG

Hi gang! I’m a long time rider with a few other bikes that I have always somewhat personalized but never built with all the garage made goodies. Purchased my first XS (’78 Special) in non-running condition last summer then snapped my Achilles tendon and had surgery…”twice” as I was too stubborn to follow doctors orders!

SAMSUNG

Needless to say it sat in the garage for 6 months while I was on the soul sucker (couch) recovering with ideas trampling through my head on the build. Doc finally gave the ok to walk and the fun began..!!!  I ordered the hardtail from Elswick cycles. Took about 10 minutes to admire the level of quality of Roberts work, and then got right to welding that thing on. Things I fabricated from scratch…

xs650-chop-noid-DSCN1292

Handlebars, Dummy oil tank for electrical, Mid-controls and linkage, and then all the misc mounting perches, plates, brackets, caliper strut w/heim joints (stole idea for Ardcore), Battery box with belt and Famous Stars & Straps buckle, etc. Drew up a maltese cross stencil for the tank on some poster paper and rattle canned it and cleared it.

SAMSUNG

I am actually pumped with the finally product and look of the bike as it was exactly what I had trapped in my head…In fact, my girlfriend rides and is so pumped after seeing and riding mine that we already picked up another XS to start building for her!

This site is wicked BTW!

Joe Blackfelner

Comments

1. sean from boston says:

very nice looking good Hope your healing well and i’m interested in seeing this one done!

2. Guy says:

DON’T KNOW WHAT I LIKED MORE HERE…YOUR BIKE…OR YOUR WORK SPACE, JESUS MAN, HAVE YA GOT ENOUGH TOOLS?!! HA HA HA…BOTH ARE VERY NEAT AND TIDY, ENJOY THEM BOTH.

3. Fabbastard says:

Lovin the simplicity!!!

4. rdvance says:

Nice looking build! what stretch and ride height is that elswick tail?

Very Cool !!! Is the last pic your lady friend’s ? I am partial to front AND rear disc brakes. That front disc on the trailer trick would look great on your build. It’s just my stoopid envy to have front and rear discs,LOL. Great Job !

6. fish says:

my work space is a spare bedroom, the better half dont realy care for it
    nice bike keep it up

7. Joe says:

Thanks for the feedback gang. You know the golden rule…he who dies with the most toys (and tools), wins!!! The spare bedroom workspace is pretty wicked if you ask me. I actually rebuilt the carbs on the coffee table so I could watch tv while working. My whole house smelled like carb cleaner and gas for like a week…what a great smell!!!

8. Joe says:

As far as the stretch I believe its 3-4 inches and 4 inch ride height (havent really measured). This hardtail has more of a drop seat, if you look at where the rails meet up with the center down tube you can see it lines up a few inches below the backbone. Way cool in my opinion!

9. rdvance says:

Thats what i was wanting to hear, ive got a order in with robert for a 3″stretch, 4″ ride height with a 1.5″ drop where the tail meets the backbone that should be done this week. That gives me a really good idea of what its gonna look like.

10. Joe says:

You will be happy with the quality and look. I didnt build a jig so just took my time and measured a million times from a million different angles then welded it up. I waited to weld the downtube until installing the motor to ensure proper alignment.

11. Colocation says:

Get better first before working on the second one! LOL

12. El Gaucho says:

You could probably get a decent buck for those side covers and original tank…..