1978 XS650 project very first bike

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_1222

This is my very first motorcycle, I love the old vintage style motorcycles that I used to watch in old movies. I told myself if i ever buy a motorcycle, I would only buy a XS650 I love the bobber look. Well needless to say I finally found one that I liked the looks of and could make it my own with my own hands, and it only cost me $500. Enjoy the pictures that I have so far at the start of the project.

This bike is not running but some simple fixes will get it going, right now it is all spray paint on the tank and frame, new color coming soon, also to come is springer front end, new paint, new tire and wheels, forward controls and much more. I will post as soon as I finish each one. I did not make this a hard tail because of a bad back and I heard it was a rough ride I was injured in Iraq and really not looking for a rough ride. Enjoy.

Anthony riddle

Comments

1. fish says:

looks like a good start keep us posted

Cool bike. The hardtail is way hard, LOL. I run a slack back tire to help with the bumps.

3. Barney says:

I kinda like this look. What paint do you plan on using?

4. Dennis says:

You gotta great start there, Anthony, for a very good price. I woulda jumped on that myself. I’m interested in how the rear shocks mount up (or if the swingarm is extended), as I see that setup in my future. Also would like more details about fat front tire set up. If anyone else here on the site would care to point me towards info inre to these elements, I’d appreciate it. Email is dacol58@@@@hotmail(dot)com

Also, please excuse me if I’m not following proper etiquette. Don’t mean to hijack Anthony’s thread. Been lurking and drooling for awhile, not sure if there is a ‘general contact’ category or something similar (waves to everyone). This is a great, great site, Ted. The pics and comments are (mostly) top-notch (there’s a joke in there).

Again, Anthony, don’t mean to step on yer toes, you gotta great start, good luck!

5. Fabbastard says:

Looks like you’ve got a good start !

6. norm younger says:

What direction are you going to go with the rear fender?