MCW RACING RADIUSED BACKBONE

xs650-chop-Copy of Picture 004

LEE LEE PROJECT

THE BIKE WAS STARTED LAST SEPTEMBER WHEN I GOT MY NEW FRAME JIG.

IT WAS A 75( STILL IS). I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO A DROP SEAT BIKE AND SHY AWAY FROM THE ALWAYS,”OFF THE SHELF BIKE”. I STARTED WITH MAKING THE RADIUSED BACKBONE, THEN MY DROP SEAT HARDTAIL. ORIGINALLY I HAD A KIWI LEAFER ON HER, BUT THE WIFE WANTED A CHROME DNA INSTEAD. THE ELECTRICAL BOX HAD TO BE DIFFERENT, I JUST DONT LIKE ROUND CANS.

xs650-chop-Copy of Picture 002

ONE DAY OUT ANTIQUEING, I CAME ACROSS A OLD BRASS FIRE EXTINGUISHER AND MY MIND STRARTED TO TURN. I THINK ITS DIFFERENT. THE TANK IS A SPLIT MUSTANG TANK, WHICH FOLLOWS THE BACKBONE NICELY.

REAR FENDER IS A VTWIN STEEL PIECE THAT I MADE A LIP AND SOLID STRUTS ON. BARS ARE MY OWN AND ARE PART OF THE TOP TREE.

xs650-chop-Copy of Copy of Picture 003
PAINT IS AZTEC GOLD AND CANDY ROOTBEER OVER THAT GOLD. I LOVE THE COLORS.
MOTOR IS RE-SEALED AND GONE THROUGH. LATE MODEL CARBS SO I COULD USE A SINGLE CABLE WITHOUT MAKING A 2-1 CABLE. THE PIPES ARE ALSO MY OWN.

xs650-chop-Copy of Picture 006
MID CONTROL MOUNTS HOLD THE REAR MASTER CYLINDER AND PEGS AND PEDAL ARE FROM LOWBROW?( UNIVERSAL REAR SETS ).

xs650-chop-Copy of Copy of Picture 001

I COULD KEEP GOING ON BUT…. THE PICS HOPEFULLY SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL THE INSPIRATION AND THIS SITE FOR KEEPING THE BEST JAP IRON ALIVE.

RYAN
OWNER, FABRICATOR
FACEBOOK: MCW RACING

Comments

Love this bike. I enjoy the hard work that was put into this dropper. I’m not a fan of drop-seats because I feel a little cramped on one especially with mids. My only suggestion: round off the axel spikes. Looking at the bike curves and straight lines look wonderful, the bikes look a little to off-the-shelf for this bike. TOP 20 bike.

2. mike lytle says:

once again we have someone with an eye for extremely nice lines and the craftsmanship to make them a reality. especialy like the wing nuts on the bars!! the brass can is also a nice touch. the idea to spilt the mustang tank was brilliant!! beautifully done, thanks for sharing

3. Guy says:

OMG-OMG-OMG!!! (WHILE JUMPING UP AND DOWN ON THE SPOT FLAPING MY HANDS AT THE WRIST)

4. Old bastard says:

”Great job”.

5. MCW RACING says:

THANKS GUYS. if anyone has any questions on a build please call me at 908-475-1094.

6. Jett says:

another work of art

7. Jett says:

very steampunk

8. fish says:

dont know what to say other than thankyou for sharing. great job

STEAMPUNK….nice : )>

10. Barney says:

Neat bike, very different looking. The extinguisher fits awesome on this bike.

11. Fabbastard says:

Simply a “spendid riding contraption”….love the paint/colors!!!
    @Guy …LMAOROF!!!!

12. Capt_Zoom says:

Excellent build. Thanks for sharing.

13. Atomic22 says:

I never comment on these bikes, but this bike is the exception. You have done a wonderful job of crafting a fabulous machine. Congratulations on your creation. What an inspiration.

I meant to say,”THE SPIKES LOOK A LITTLE TOO OFF-THE-SHELF FOR THIS KILLER BIKE”. sorry for any confusion

15. mcw racing says:

the spikes are from working class choppers, gotta support my local fellows. there off his shelf, so ya,they are. lol but thank you

@mcw racing , I HEREBY RETRACT ALL STATEMENTS REGARDING POINTY AXEL THINGIES. lol, I understand, support those who support you. I hope this will be just, considering my ignorance on the matter at hand. fanoboss12

17. norm younger says:

I like the brass fire extinguisher

18. weare138 says:

Where did you get those wheels?

19. MCW RACING says:

the wheels are harley 80 spokers- 16-21. the rear sprocket is a mr. luckys 32 tooth.

20. MCW RACING says:

I HEAR YA ON THAT RATBIKEDAN

21. Shane Ryans says:

I don’t know about anyone else but all I could think about looking at this bike was the Washington Redskins.

22. Ted says:

@ Jett – “very steampunk” I was thinking the same thing, it definitely has a steam punk feel to it with the brass fire extinguisher. A different and very cool looking bike.

@Shane, I knew it was a familiar color scheme …LOL

24. Yale says:

learning about the xs650 in order to chop up my first one. I have seen prefab hard-tails. I was trying to understand the “drop seat” terminology. Do you need a longer than normal hard tail to consider it a “drop seat”? Or is any xs650 with a hard tail also considered a “drop seat”? Your bike is awesome. You had a great vision. Was all figured ahead of time or was it on the fly?

25. jj says:

@yale – “dropseat” refers to the frame dropping off right after the tank. Typically the frame/backbone maintains the standard slope/angle all the way to the rear end, however on the “dropseat” there is a dramatic drop in the frame which lowers allows for a lower seat height and a much different appearance. Hope that helps.

26. Yale says:

jj – thanks for the education on the drop seat. One other question… Why are so many xs650 chopped/bobbed and I dont see so many xs750’s or xs1100’s? I am looking or my first project purchase and wanted to know if I should stay away from the 750’s or 1100’s I am seeing for sale. Any idea’s on this?

I really dig 1980-84 xs1100s. Some don’t like shaft drive others don’t like the triple cylinder motors. The xs650 has a triumph appearance to the motor and is a proven dependable bike and they made a crap load of xs650s. The xs1100 was the fastest production bike at one time.

28. mcw racing says:

the bike is for sale if anyone is interested. please call me at 908-475-1094(ryan) for more details. thanxs

29. St8LineBobber says:

This is the sickest SX 650 bobber i have seen!
    I love every thing about it.

I think I am going to do something similar with a set of fat bobs, like how the backbone is exposed.

30. theirie1 says:

the build looks fantastic

31. Dennis says:

@Yale – one serious mechanical fact you must consider is that the 750-1100 bikes of the era are shaft drive bikes. This is a huge constriction on customization. Another serious fact is the after-market support the 650 has. You will find *none* of that for the 750-1100 models. You can certainly go it alone with the bigger bikes, but the support alone that the 650 has makes it even more attractive. I have several 1100s, have been driving one since the early 90s, absolutely love the bike. However, I learned the hard way that very few shops are qualified to work on it, and *ZERO* shops/dealers carry more than the basic filters for it. Most of the counter geeks never heard of it. Despite all that, I don’t plan on getting rid of mine just yet. I just wanna add a ‘my version’ 650 to the corral, thats all! ;O)

…oh yeah, that too ! : )>

33. Yale says:

Dennis – One again thanks for information. I am sticking with the 650 only. I just purchased the “illegal Immigrant” which is on this site. Going to get familiar with a good running, well built 650 and then dive into a project for myself. Actively looking for a good project bike. Anything special I should be looking for or should stay away from? What are thoughts on a decent price range for a project bike. Keep in mind the first bike I want to do ore body work than engine repair.