A little Salt Flat influenced (In progress)

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_2619a

Hello everyone, I started this little custom about 9 months ago after receiving the bike from a Yamha rep at the MotoGp event in Indy. I plan on taking it back to next years event and having it shown in the Yamaha tent. I have a lot of first time parts on the bike such as the exhaust and the metal work which was all done in my garage.

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_1938

The tail section and chin spoiler are made out of stainless as is the exhaust. The tray under the seat houses the battery and electronics. I have 21″ 5 spoke Invaders front and back being made at this moment and I’m thinking this would be a first for this also for an XS650?

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_2585

Stay tuned paint coming up next.

Mike McFadden

Comments

1. mike lytle says:

looks like your well on your way to a classic!!!!! …. more pics would have been nice….left side view?? are those square holes under the battery box exaust??? gettin a slight wiff of bondo. keep us posted on progress….please. can’t wait to see the final result… thanks for sharing

2. turdherder says:

Nice job, nicely balanced and proportionate. I like how you’ve filled the void most people leave under the seat. I don’t think it should look like there’s room for another engine. Keep posting pics. I look forward to following your build.

3. Yale says:

great job so far. Pretty ingenious design on exhaust. How did you paint the engine like that? The engine paint has such a vintage look that I would love to duplicate on my bike.

4. squirrelnuts says:

Holy cow that’s good work. It’s going to be great!

I’m down with that sickness, LOL

6. pickles says:

Daaaaaaammmmmn! This one’s gonna be awesome!

7. Hans from Holland says:

Really like this ” Bonneville ” racerstyle. Start looks good Mike, seatsection reminds me a bit of a Roland Sands creation. I’m curious about the final result !!!! Paintscheme and right decals/graphics will do the job on such projects, so take care ’bout that ! Think Invader wheels go in style, hope the breaking will do also. Good luck on the futher build Mike, will follow it for sure.

8. Ronin says:

Looks great. The seat section really looks good. I like the way the bike’s lines flow. well done and keep the pics coming – this is one build I want to see more of.

Looking at this build again, the lines are so clean and strong and that tank kicks major butt too.

10. Johnny says:

Wow…Cant wait to see the finished result. Thinkin outside the square..Luv it

11. reynoldburton says:

Yess – very tasty. Ingenuity at its best!

12. cruzboos says:

Lovin the exhaust tail tucked on the side. Await to see this retro rollin. Paint and graphics will definitely be a must under some gold / silver leaf.

13. Geezerman says:

Sweet !!!
    Wanna see the finished bike !!!!

14. elrico says:

great job, nice to see some innovation 😉

Mike McFadden , I want a thanks for this next comment… “If the seat tail-section and chin-spoiler were ever to be marketed into a kit you’d be rich” <<<

then Mike , Go take some pics and put in envelope then send a certified letter to yourself. Write in big letters “DO NOT OPEN,” this will be proof that it’s your intellectual property. Never open it and keep w/important papers. If this happens just a “thanks fanoboss” on you’re merchandising website. I have other ideas too… : )>

17. Guy says:

DIGG’IN THE WAY THIS IS SHAPING UP…SO DIFFERENT, SO COOL!!!

18. The Flying Imp says:

This thing is frikkin awesome!!!

19. Mike McFadden says:

Hello again, I just got back to the site today after being out of commison this week due to the flu and I saw my bike had been posted up, Wow! was my first reaation to all the nice comments thrown my way and if they don’t get you pumped to gewt out in the shop then your dead! Thank you so much. To answer some of the questions asked I’ll start off.

1. The square holes behind the chin spoiler is the outtakes of the exhaust I’ve built from stainless. Its one unit with two chambers for both sides. solid mounted to the frame. A little background on this ideal was from a friend of mine who has a street rod built to look like a moonshine runner. He has an exhaust system from a Nascar that was given to him from Junior Johnson. I liked the look and built off of that look.

2. The box under the seat houses the battery,coil, and the rest of the electronics. I have a love for the clean look as in the Rod World and this cleaned things up. the area below that will be the number plate and house some wires. The piece was made from stainless and should hold up well.

3. The tank inside will be sealed with RedKote tank sealer. I’ve used this product already with great results.

4. Paint on the engine is also the paint for the bike Jet Black PPG and Vanilla Shake PPG and the paint is sealed with etching primer and DP40 and PPG High solid primer. I have had awesome luck through the years with the Urethane paints on motors when prepped properly and sealed. It will not bubble or flake unless its abused.

5. The Paint scheme will be a surprise that I have drawn up and will keep until the final part has been installed. 😉

6. Fanoboss, Those comments you made really helped me out with the wife after seeing the hours put into the design of that tailsection and labor to get it right. Thank you so much for appreciating the metal work.

7. Everything you have seen has been done in my shop with my 9 digits still have 10 but one is now partially dead.(Cutoff wheel got me.) and the use of a Harbor Freight air planishing hammer and a Tig and Mig Welder.

8. Hans, I would just like to say to you thanks for the check in on the bike. Your bike was the first 650 I’d come across on the internet and that fueled my whole desire to build and look into these awesome bikes.

9. The chin spoiler has been mabe out of double wall stainless and if you look close the exhaust runs in through the front and under the motor hooking into the system. should sound great.

10. Lastly the wheels are being done and I have recieved my copper parts Mr.Luckys and new racing carbs from Mike’s XS top notch venders. I’ll post some more pictures as we go along more.

Thanks again everyone.
    Mike

20. Mike McFadden says:

Hello again, I just got back to the site today after being out of commission this week due to the flu and I saw my bike had been posted up, Wow! was my first reaction to all the nice comments thrown my way and if they don’t get you pumped to get out in the shop then you’re dead! Thank you so much. To answer some of the questions asked I’ll start off.

1. The square holes behind the chin spoiler is the outtakes of the exhaust I’ve built from stainless. It’s one unit with two chambers for both sides. solid mounted to the frame. A little background on this ideal was from a friend of mine who has a street rod built to look like a moonshine runner. He has an exhaust system from a Nascar that was given to him from Junior Johnson. I liked the look and built off of that look.

2. The box under the seat houses the battery, coil, and the rest of the electronics. I have a love for the clean look as in the Rod World and this cleaned things up. the area below that will be the number plate and house some wires. The piece was made from stainless and should hold up well.

6. Fanoboss, Those comments you made really helped me out with the wife after seeing the hours put into the design of that tail section and labor to get it right. Thank you so much for appreciating the metal work.

9. The chin spoiler has been made out of double wall stainless and if you look close the exhaust runs in through the front and under the motor hooking into the system. should sound great.

10. Lastly the wheels are being done and I have received my copper parts Mr.Luckys and new racing carbs from Mike’s XS top notch venders. I’ll post some more pictures as we go along more.

Thanks again everyone.
    Mike

21. turdherder says:

I’m really curious as to what sound you’ll get out of the exhaust system, you’re going to have to do a audio/video once you get this thing up and running. Looking forward to more pics as the project advances!