Hippie XS from Finland

xs650-chop-noid-3

Vehvis – This is a hand-built 1970-style XS-chopper from Finland! I bought it as a mildly customized, mostly original parts -bike. Made the rigid frame from a straight tube, using the original axle plates and engine mounts (here in Finland, we have to modify as much original parts as we can, in order to keep these machines even close to street legal).

xs650-chop-noid-2-2

The springer front end is still unidentified. It is +20″-22″ probably from 70´s, and needed a lot of work, being in bad shape and made for a Harley frame. Tank is a basic little shallow tunnel sportster, which I painted with spray cans, as I did the frame also. Handle bars are an old chopper part, as is the Marchall head light.

xs650-chop-noid-4

Everything is self-made, except the seat upholstery (thanks Katri). Some things still need little working (like those ugly pipes), but after first summer and some 3000 miles it feels pretty damn good!

xs650-chop-noid-1

Ps. I have another XS engine waiting for re-phasing, but as everyone seems to be doing the 277 conversion, I think I´ll make it a simultaneous spark twingle. But that´s a whole different story……

Comments

Very cool, retro as hell. Great color too. Needs some highway pegs.

2. Jeff says:

The grin on your face says it all.

3. Cool Vehvis !!! Like the pic with the yellow flowers.
    Has anyone seen the outside dynamo/ alternator in front of the engine on pic nr. three ???? Like it a lot. These seventies bikes bring a lot of memories and reminds me of the first Easyrider mags I saw mid seventies.

4. Barney says:

Nice photo in the flowers! I would spoke the back wheel to complete the look. Maybe Captain America fishtail exhaust??

5. john says:

How ’bout a peace sign and some flowers on your lid. Tie a sleeping bag on that sissy bar and head for Woodstock. I think I’m havin’ a flashback. Psychadelic, man.

6. john says:

You’re right, Barney, the flower photo is nice. Where’s Vehvis? Probably back in the woods, havin’ a toke.

7. cruzboos says:

Way too cool! Would love to carry a babe, jiggling, on the queen seat holding onto that sissy bar and hope that she’s multi orgasmic.

8. davethewrench says:

SUPER COOL BIKE !!!!
    never see bikes like this anymore

9. Barney says:

… also, props on the rattle can. That sissy bar is over-the-top! I could see a massive flag waving behind that thing down the highway.

10. larocco says:

kool a stock hd fork tube is28 inches so if it were 20 0ver from axel 2 top tree it would measure49 inches nice job brother love 2 see a real chopper

11. tadd442 says:

Awesome!….Do your wrists get sore?

12. puker says:

Dude, that grin says it all!!

13. joe speedboat says:

Wow, beautifull frame, dude. Very cool bike! Working on sort of the same type of bike, you inspired me!!

egads…

15. Vehvis says:

tadd: actually those bars are pretty comfortable on the road. not so good in the city, but long chops usually don´t tend to be anyways…
    dave: sorry don´t have any pics of the charging system. it´s a tight fit between the frame tubes and the engine, mounted on the engine front bolt. the belt and pulleys are basic industrial components, easy to find.

16. Awesome awesome awesome. How’d’you like the mid controls on that thing? Sooper cool!

17. Rusty Nutz says:

Oh no. Not another bike from Finland.

Vehvis is an only child who still lives with his parents, at the foot of an extinct volcano in Finland.

“Science tells us that LSD use does not cause chromosome damage, but look at me,” he said, confidentially.

Vehvis’s parents met at the Woodstock Festival in 1969. We’ve all heard the horror stories. Drugs. Free love.

“My Dad was the guy in the tophat selling LSD. They put his picture in Life magazine. We have it framed. He sold enough to be able to dodge the draft and move to Finland with my Mom.”

“He’s forever telling me that I was conceived during a Carlos Santana solo. Then he goes, ‘That’s as good a time as any, Son.’ If I hear him say that one more time, I’m going to shoot myself.”

“Oh, he doesn’t really mean that,” Vehvis’ Mom told me candidly. “But back to the story. We had to get out of America. What a nightmare that place was. Hippies floor to ceiling. And then I married one!” she laughed.

“We were in love,” Vehvis’ Dad admits, “and Vehvis was on the way. We decided to name him Vehvis, which is Finnish for ‘one-hundred watt guitar amplifier.’”

“Mom was in America visiting relatives in upstate New York, when she was swept along in a tide of people going to the festival. One minute she was having an icecream on the sidewalk, and the next minute she was swept along in a tide of unwashed pot smokers. There was no way out.”

“When they got back to Finland, Dad started a home-based sardine business. Then I was born. Mom would can the sardines in the kitchen and make just enough money so Dad could buy fish hooks and gas for his Trumpet, one of only a handful in the country. It was tough for a while, but they made it. We always had food on the table. Gosh, I wish I could find a woman like her.”

“Dad has always let me wear the hat anytime I wanted to. It’s a little moth eaten, but I still wear it on special occasions, like when I get a bike motor going for the first time.”

18. Vehvis says:

…and that´s how I became me 🙂

19. Rusty Nutz says:

Yep! People think I make this stuff up, but I don’t! 🙂

20. El Gaucho says:

Very original charging system! I’m guessing the alt is internally regulated?