1981 Yamaha XS650 Bobber running

So i got some work done on my bobber recently , had to modify some of the different throttle cable parts to get the throttle cable installed and tensioned. Also re wired my rear indicators a bit more stealthy, and most importantly got it running again. The last time i started it the throttle got caught open and it over revved and my auto advance unit exploded! Luckily thats all that was damaged. It still needs a tune so its running a little rough but im real happy.

Comments

Keep us updated !!!!!

2. mike lytle says:

finally!! someone figured out that the xs has an electric starter!!! well done,,,, thanks for sharing

3. Tables says:

Nice lookin bike with some nice detail, interestingly just last night I modified my PCV in exactly the same way you have done. Without trying to take over this post I notice you have fitted electronic ignition, do you run a PMA also? I am interested in running both electronic ignition and PMA but am not sure if it is possible. Cheers.

4. Mat says:

Hi i was just checking my you tube stats and noticed my video was embedded here , i didnt do it but i dont mind at all. You can see the full build at http://xs650bobber.blogspot.com/
    Ha ha yep mike i replaced the worn starter gear and kept the electric start and kick start for my bobber, may aswell have them both!
    Tables im not too sure on your shorthand there, ive got a pamco electronic ignition with a duel output high performance coil and iridium plugs pumping out about 82Kv.
    Also using the regulator rectifier off the later model xs’s seeing the wiring was done from scratch.

5. Mat says:

Heres another video of my bike

6. Mat says:

i cant figure out how to post a new video here , help me out guys! i like the site , glad i stumbled across it

Mat, they post when Ted approves them. Most don’t see their stuff posted. Cuts down on sucky bikes and spam.

8. IOCWA says:

Nice job Matty…

9. Tables says:

Mat, thanks for your reply. Sorry PCV – Positive crankcase vent pipe off the back of the engine above the cam chain tensioner.
    PMA – Permanent Magneto Alternator, as you said you have used the the later model XS charging system set up which isn’t a PMA type, so that sort of answers my question. Once again, thanks for the reply.