RED and Simple

Bryce – It took just over a year from the time i purchased the bike. My brother in law first showed me the xs650 over two years ago, i was hooked. Before i knew it every time i was on the internet i was looking at xs650chopper.com or tcbroschoppers.com. I started to envision what i wanted in my 650. Once i decided i was serious about getting started i then turned to craigslist and other various sites searching for a basketcase i could pick up for cheap. My brother in law (the one who got me started) found a 74 tx 650 in fort Collins. 500 bucks and i was on my way.

When i picked her up she was in shambles, missing parts, and in pieces. At first i was overwhelmed, but thanks to my brother and brother in law i was able to get all the help i needed to finish the bike. I owe the most of the credit on this bike to my brother law, he basically talked me into the red color and the pinstriped wheels.

I know its just another sporty tank but i honestly love the way it turned out. Its my first build and i’m sure it wont be my last. I already have my next build planned out in my head. Its about 95% done need a few odds and ends which i will update.

Total project so far came in just under 2000 with the purchase of the bike. Everything was done on a very tight budget. Thanks to my brother in law for giving me a new obsession and thanks to the wife for letting me spend every extra dollar on this bike.

Bryce Twitchell

Comments

1. Chisel says:

I must say you and ur bros did a pretty sweet and clean build. Really like the red stripe on the rims, ride on!

2. El Gaucho says:

Very nice and clean first build. I have a feeling this won’t be your last!

3. Joshua says:

There is nothing to dislike on that build, nice!

4. nick says:

Clean and slick

5. misfitskinny says:

Nice clean build!!

6. Barney says:

The paint is dying for some pinstriping. Great job!

7. Kaveeks says:

Great build for only $2000!!

8. Jason says:

Wow.. This brother in law sounds like a pretty awesome guy.. HAHA.. just kidding..

In the end this bike is all Bryce. I only gave him nudges in directions. I truly believe he ended up influencing my build as much as I influenced his.

9. DENNI$ says:

A good BIL is good to have!

10. SJ says:

Hats off to Brother-in-Laws everywhere.
    After seeing this bike, I think they should get their own day, like Father’s Day etc.
    Nice build man. Take a bow.

11. dex82 says:

nothing wrong with a sporty tank, man. it’s all in what you want your build to look like. clean and simple is just as good as flash.

12. El Gaucho says:

Now that you mention it Barney, hell yea, some pinstriping would finish that bike off perfectly!

13. mike lytle says:

nice job Bryce, your work is first class, the result is your and your friends efforts…no such thing as “just another sporty tank” each build is unique for each builder, an expression of yourself!!!!!!!!be proud of your work! thanks for sharing

14. IOCWA says:

I agree with mike lytle… Nice job mate… gotta be happy with that…

I’m not a fan of red but this build KICKS AZZ !

16. Bryce says:

Hey thanks guys! Im glad everyone loves it, ill have to look at some pinstriping. For now im just glad as hell i can actually ride it! A brother in law day would be wicked awesome!

17. ALf says:

if ur in Texas get ahold of me, I would like you to build me one<<

18. Bryce says:

I’m in Vegas actually or maybe I could! It really wasn’t a difficult project and if you have any friends or family that has any automotive or motorcycle background could help. Plus the amount of information you can get online for these bikes is amazing. Anyone can do it!

19. ALf says:

Thx, what do you think about the permanent magnet alternator kit, my bike is not charging and have not seen anyone mention doing this mod., is it really a must do as advertised about the weak charging system on the xs,s..??

20. Brian says:

Hey, another Colorado guy! Bike looks awesome! I’d wondered what bright red would look like and now I have my answer. Good stuff, hope to see it in person one day.

21. Bryce says:

I’ve read some good things about it. I delt with 650central.com ordering some parts and the customer service I got there was amazing. If there is anyone that can explain how the mod might help your situation its that guy. He doesn’t allow online orders he ONLY takes call in orders. It’s a breath of fresh air when working on bikes no shop likes to work on anymore. Atleast that’s how it is here in Vegas. Give those guys a call and start reading up on all the forums to find out if its something that you would be into.

Brain: thanks I actually just bought the bike in Colorado but if you ever in Vegas maybe you’ll see me rollin! I think bright red is a good look for any bike. Thanks for the comments

22. Tables says:

Hey Bryce, Look after that BIL, as everyone before me has said family and friends are what this whole gig called garage built bikes is about.
    @ ALF, as far as the PMA set up goes I used the kit from XS Charge and I have said it before and I will say it again, ‘it was sooooo easy to install’ and hey presto all charging issues fixed, less wires, new shiny bits (my precious), personally I couldn’t fault there stuff at all. Give ’em a call.

23. Tables says:

Bryce, BTW great build, especially for a first, go hard and build more brother.

24. Z 187 says:

Real sharp looking

25. Bryce says:

Thanks guys its definetly been a good time riding it around. Im ready to build another one.

26. Pat says:

I am in love with this bike. it is my dream bike and will be the motivation if i ever get the balls to finally start my project. I love everything about it.

27. Pat says:

Absolutely love this bike. I hope to one day build one alot like this if I ever nut up and start a project. What did you use for a rear fender? Any hints for keeping a build on budget?

28. Bryce says:

Dang it’s been a long time since I’ve seen some action on my bike. Thanks Pat. The rear fender is a stock front fender that has been shaved and painted. There is a lot of easy ways to build a budget bike. The hardest part is finding a good deal to start with. But once you have the bike, finding used parts always helps or using stock parts for your build. Paint works wonders on old parts. And If anyone tells you that you can’t make rattle can paint look good is a liar. Wet sanding and buffing can go a long ways. Paint everything yourself until you can afford a real
    Powdercoat/paintjob. If your going the hardtail bobber route hopefully you know someone that can weld. A friend or brother or anyone that can help. I made or cut brackets out of the stock rear end to fit on the hardtail and had help with all
    My welds.

When looking for your donor obviously check craigslist and the usual suspects. But start paying attention when your about and about. A lot of these bikes were sold and most people don’t know how wanted they are. Maybe you will get lucky and find one in someone’s backyard.

Good luck!

29. Pat says:

Thanks for the timely response! I really wasnt expecting that. Your comments make me feel really confident about this. Thanks for all the info, helps alot!
    I am planning on doing what you mentioned as far as paint, rattle can everything until I can afford to get the frame, tank and fender powder coated. How did the rattle can hold up on your bike? much chipping?

30. Bryce says:

The tank and fender do pretty well. If they get chipped you can fill it in with a paint marker and clear coat buff and wax it again. The one thing I do regret is not powder coating the frame. Mainly because when you get it powder Coated everything has to come off. So basically you have to run new wiring just like you did the first time. If there is anyway you can powder coat the frame do it. That’s the one big thing I regret. Also when you get paint. Get the good stuff. All the paint I used was automotive. It’s worth it o spend a few extra bucks a can. And absolutely primer. That’s the main reasons paint doesn’t doesn’t chip very often. Paint is all In the prep work. Be patient

Glad I could help. It’s nice to see people enthusiastic. It makes me remember why I wanted to do a xs650 on the first place.