jon smal – Dirty Rice

Jon – This was a shop project here at Hotshoe Cycle Works. Its a ’75 XS650B, last registered in 1981, it had been locked up in the back shed and repeatedly raped for parts over the last 30+ years, -No more though, the bike got a new dress and a second chance…..

I designed and built this bike with two of my friends and partners at Hotshoe Cycle Works. Both of whom are top notch mechanics. One being the ‘King of Hialeah Speedway’, Gary McGoron and long time motorcycle specialist and electrical master, Chuck Eggleston. We pulled the bike out of a trailer behind the shop. As I said it had been sitting back there for over 30 years.

The Motor was swapped out for an 81 we had in the shop. We chopped the frame and welded on the rear section from TC Bros. The funky intake manifold and pipes were built by Joe Wiseguy. We used a 21″ rim and brake hub from a mid 70s H2 (we think) and the rear is also a Kawasaki hub laced to a 16″ Harley Rim, both with custom axles.

Trimmed trailer fender with our very own bracket at the rear and a good ole fashion fork brace up front. The Wassel tank, Bates seat and Headlight we got off ebay with a few other things. The forward controls and linkages were all made by us, as were the various mounts on the frame, brake stays front and rear, tag mount…

The Magneto is from an old dirt bike, new electronic ignition and new reg/rec. Other than that the motor is stock. This bike was built over a few months on Fridays and Saturdays only, Summer and Fall of 2011. Its a  PERFECT BAR HOPPER and an overall fun bike, -We even got a trophy a couple weeks ago at the Dania Beach Antique Motorcycle show, definately gets a lot of looks! More detailed pics on our website, www.hotshoe49.com , lots of inspiration came from this one. Thanks!

Comments

1. Alex says:

Yes. This look´s great, color, intake, heatshield, saddeldampers and backlight is super.
    I would like to hop bars on that. Thanks.

Nice, looks like mine…but nicer. I love the carbs and pipes.

3. misfitskinny says:

Wow! Whole build very nice . Like that carb setup, very creative

4. Barney says:

Nice bike, love the carb setup.

5. 6thof7thgarcia says:

That one CLEAN bike, looks great. Really like the exhaust with the heat shield

6. Christopher says:

nice looking rider…the exhaust and carb set up make the bike…

7. joe wiseguy says:

jon that bike really came out sweet. thanks for your business too.

8. Chris says:

Looks good! How well to the mini shocks on the seat work?

9. El Gaucho says:

Awesome bike. I’m a sucker for drums too. I never liked trailer fenders, but somehow that one looks good. Doesn’t look as flat on the top as other trailer fenders. Is it the angle of the pic playing tricks on me, or did you do something to slightly radius the top of the fender? Looks good!

10. Everyone says:

Is a cheap trailer fender something to be proud of on a nice build?

11. Hammerd says:

Thanks for the good words folks, chris the seat springs did need to be lighter, pretty stiff ride as it is there, we’ve addressed that since these pics were taken. In fact these pics were taken just after we first finished it. we also relocated the kickstand since then. El G.- I did have to stand the fender on end and give it some encouragement with the floor to get the shape right, specially with the rear at only 16″. It might not be the prettiest fender ever but it stops water up the back side pretty good for the money..

12. Scrapyard says:

Saw this bike @ Dania. Wicked job. Dig the intake setup. Defiantly catches your attention.

13. Chuck Jones says:

really sick build. I love it. really clean.

14. DENNI$ says:

this build is very cool, very cool! that carb setup, wow! Love the exhaust! Are thos e stock point covers? never seen them before.

15. ronn simpson says:

Thats as nice as 650 as I have seen in the last forty years Great Job

16. Tables says:

Cool lookin sled @ Hammerd, I was thinking of doing something funky with my intake aswell, but that one hadn’t come to mind, nice touch. Be interested to know if it does anything to the performance. Enjoy the bar hoppin’.

17. DENNI$ says:

wats that fender brace from?

18. Hammerd says:

Dennis, the points covers are cast aluminum not stock. the fender brace we made from aluminum rod, wrapped around a piece of 8″ drainage pipe that was sitting in the corner. TY Tables, The intake manifold should give a small performance boost but really this one is more show than performance.

19. Hammerd says:

Dennis, the points covers are cast aluminum, not stock, the fender brace is aluminum rod bent around an 8″ drainage pipe we had sitting in the corner. TY tables, hard to say if we had any performance gain since the bike was not running prior to the build, theoretically we should see a gain but this one is really more for show than performance. -It does, however, make pulling the carbs super easy. Simple and Clean is what we were after here, Thanks for the all the positive comments.

20. Joe McNinch says:

I think I’m in love! those custom manifolds are tight!

21. Geezerman says:

Great looking build !!!!
    Intake is awsome !

22. Chuck Jones says:

I like the carb set up, nice build.

23. DENNI$ says:

Hammerd – thanks for the reply. Those custom touches, along with everything else, make this XS650 a real beauty. Exceptional job…!

24. joe wiseguy says:

you can get those intakes and exhaust at joewiseguy.com

25. Hammerd says:

joe wiseguy- thanks for your great service and parts.
    – here is a company run the way one should be! These guys go above and beyond, I highly recommend them.

26. joe wiseguy says:

very sweet setup. better keep building them jon we need more to drool over

27. Boon UK says:

I must have looked at too many bikes today I could of sworn I`ve just seen one with two carbs sticking out from the side, moderation in all things, be warned you should always avoid xs that’s the one thing that can blow your mind .

28. Hammerd says:

Dirty Rice was in the first issue of ‘Wrench’ Magazine last fall.