StreetKORE Project: XS650 StreetCHOPPER

The StreetCHOPPER project kicked off about 6 months ago when a friend offered up a Big Twin Evo rigid frame. I always wanted to build a rigid with sport bike influences. A spare XS motor was waiting for a home in the corner of the shop. For giggles we set the motor in the frame and were surprised at how well it actually fit. Quickly, a set of forks and wheels and a tank where thrown at it to get an idea of the stance and immediately we realized the potential for this project. It was just going to need a little tweaking to make everything work.

The frame was built with +3 up, +3 out stretch and 38 degrees rake. The geometry was a little bit too far out there to work with modern suspension. The neck was cut loose and re-positioned at 27 degrees. This brought the front end back in line for more usable steering characteristics. Front end was donated from a 2000 Yamaha R1 with Vortex Top tree and Clip ons. Rear wheel and brakes came from a 94 Kawi ZX7. Surprisingly it bolted into the frame without having to re align any spacers. The axle plates where machined to fit the larger 1″ axle and a brake tab was fabed to hold the caliper.

Obviously the HD motor mounts were not going to work. They were all removed and new mounts were fabed to mate the XS engine into the HD style frame. Our XS650 5/8″ offset sprocket was developed to line up with the 5.5″ rear wheel. Mid set mounts were fabed to hold EX500 foot controls. Currently, the engine is all stock. It’s an 80 lump with the TCI, stock carbs and cut down stock pipes. Wiring harness has been minimalised for start, ignition and lights only. Bike is kick and electric start. She’s still a work in progress. Last on the punch list is Lights, seat,  finish up the exhaust and paint. Hoping for the first test ride soon.

2011/12/streetkore-project-xs650-streetracer

Comments

1. Jake says:

Cant wait to see this thing when its finished.Post more pics for sure.Bad ass looking so far

2. Scrapyard says:

Thanks bud. It’s coming together. Hopefully be done in the next few weeks, once I get some other stuff out the way.

3. El Gaucho says:

I can dig it. If the rear wheel was the same color as the front, that would be sweet looking with that black frame and tank.

4. DENNI$ says:

geez, good start. the junk in YOUR garage sure makes the junk in MY garage look like junk!

5. misfitskinny says:

Love that tank!!! looks like its gonna be a real sweet build! Dont care for those wheels at all!! But if you like em thats all that matters bro

6. jason hetfield says:

looks killer!

7. Scrapyard says:

Thanks again guys. Putting some more work into her this weekend. See if I can’t get it a it more road worthy. Keep ya’ll updated.

8. Mike says:

Dude.. sick. I love the choppers with street bike accents. I always wanted to put a street bike engine into a chopper frame, maybe I’ll get it one day. Has there been any more progress?

9. Jeff says:

hey brother what kind of fuel tank do you have on there?? i really like that and im interested in that tank! help me out please!

10. Scrapyard says:

Jeff,
    Unfortunately, I really don’t have a good answer. I’ve spent hours looking at pics of what I think it might possibly be from with no luck. The tank has been modified a few times over the years but the shape is really unique to whatever the hell it is.

The better answer I do have is, I’m considering letting it go. I kind of want to make something else for the bike. If you’re interested, let me know. It needs a bit of work still but it’s a good tank. Got a good liner, uses a bayonet style cap and a 22mm petcock.

11. Scrapyard says:

Jeff,

Wish I had a good answer for you. Unfortunatly, I have spent numerous hours looking at pics of what I think it might be with no luck. I think it is a 70’s era Yamaha tank, but I’m not sure. The tank has been modified a few times over the years, but the shape is very unique to whatever the hell it is.

The good news is, I am considering letting it go. Want to make something different for the bike. If you’re interested let me know. It’s a good tank, new liner, uses a HD bayonet style cap and a 22mm petcock. needs body work but it’s solid.