First but not last XS brat

Paul hocroft – 1975 original except for two into ones (when brought) stripped frame down to last nut and bolt, the swing arm was seized solid needed a hacksaw to remove. Now bronze bushes and tappered rollers bearings in headstock. Painted her myself, black with 4 coats two pack clear metalflake on frame.

Tank and covers Chameleon pearl (purple, blue, green) with 70’s retro endless lines in blue and purple. Now all I need to complete her are tires, 750 big bore kit AND HANDLEBARS

Comments

1. davethewrench says:

Better hurry up, spring is here
    I need new tire’s too

2. mookie says:

thanks for NOT chopping it into a dozen pieces then throwing away eleven of them!

I’d chop it into 12 pieces and only keep 1. Sorry mookie , that’s how I roll.

4. davethewrench says:

YA !!!! CHOP EM ALL !!!!

5. Capt_Zoom says:

Chops away!

6. El Gaucho says:

I wouldn’t chop that one. Specials are a dime a dozen, chop one of those. Love the paint though.

7. DENNI$ says:

Hey Gaucho, excuse my ignorance, but how can you tell that’s a standard and not a special?

8. El Gaucho says:

Flat(er) seat, 18″rear and 19″ spoked wheels on the shouldered aluminum rims different shaped stamped steel side covers, and if it had the stock exhaust, it would have the non-curvy head pipes. All that, plus it’s a 1975. The specials weren’t produced until 1978. There was a two year overlap where you could choose between a standard and a special. ’79-’79. Anything ’80 on up is a special. Honestly, the specials run better, and are faster because they use better carbs (smaller, but better design), but the older standards sound better IMO and run ever so slightly smoother. I’ve had many of each and those are my own observations that are totally objective, but not scientific.

9. DENNI$ says:

@ El Gaucho – well, I thank you for your time and explanation. I have had XS1100s for years and can give you chapter and verse on that model; the distinctions between STD/Sp are much more obvious, even to the uninitiated. I’ve torn several apart, done some painting and mild customization, etc. Have plans for building a solo seater. However, the shaft drive really dictates/limits what can be done.

Only just started to get into the 650s. I have several, some older, some newer, but see no point in getting started on the two I will build until I get my garage built. (I recently moved – AGAIN!) Once I dive into it, I’ll see/learn the various things you point out. Right now I am just checking out, and getting inspiration from, the tremendous variety I see here… Oh, and collecting parts!

Thanks,,, and thank you, Paul! You gotta great start there! Paint looks really good.

10. Tebo says:

Paul- maybe put chrome (or stainless) headpipes on it with NO mufflers, so if they don’t see ya, they’ll damned well hear ya. That is some really sweet paint. And it looks like a new seat (or seat cover) or nobody’s ever sat on it.
    fanoboss, davethewrench, and Capt_Zoom- how about CH.U.B.A.R.? CHopped Up Beyond All Recognition!

11. Slobert says:

Found this just browsing through xs650 chopper. I actually bought this off Paul, and have been building it since August last year.

Sorry to say I’ve chopped it into a brat style bobber and is about 85% complete.

I’ll be putting a build thread up when it’s complete though