78xs650 junk yard dog no more

noid-010-xs650

Rich McAninch – 78 xs650 4 ½” stretch,  mono shock soft tail and 37 rack all tig welded. Sportster hand controls, internal throttle and wiring.  Badlands lighting control module. Complete rebuilt motor top to bottom with 277 rephased crank and cam . 277 Degree Rephase Ignition System no more points, Permanent Magnet Alternator.

noid-012-xs650

Fifth gear in trans. Upgraded one tooth for lower rpms, at high speeds, custom exhaust pipes and loads of handmade parts Smooth, fast and one bad ass ride.

Comments

1. El Gaucho says:

There is so much to love about this bike! The rephased engine for sure, and you did a superb job on the rear fender and mounting system. The frame and suspension is top notch! I’m not much of a fan of the tank and front fender, BUT, that’s stuff that’s easy to remedy. Everything else is great.

looking mighty fine

3. Grumpy says:

Would of looked better in my opinion (for what it’s worth) with an Old Skool Peanut Tank but apart from that I like it! Not a fan of the front fender either but we have to have them (By Law) here Downunder in the Land of OZ so be it!!

Great Job…………

4. mook says:

looks great.well engineered and since I did’nt commission/pay you for it no point in
    me”changing this and that”….good job sir.

5. Al says:

Did you do a lower monoshock like the roadstar Yamaha or a high mount , I can’t really see but it looks pretty good to me close up pics would be nice to see the detail. But great work in my eyes def took some thinking and thats a plus with me

6. FatBob says:

It’s really refreshing to see something that’s innovative, well thought out, and practical for a change. Something that’s not a slave to the chopper whim of the moment. Sure, there’s always something someone else would change, but in the final analysis, do their opinions really mean anything?

7. ED says:

Nice Bike I like the it is strecth and it is mono shock but can you show how you did the mono- shock.Again very nice bike

8. giull says:

wow! first build!! incredible… i love it!! how much did it come in at? if you don’t mind me asking. i have a project that i’ve been working on for some time. got it all original. still is pretty much. re-did a lot of the wiring. never quite got it running like it used to. it runs good at high speeds, or high rpm’s. misses when i slow down.? any tips? thanks for posting…

9. Al says:

I would have to say the mono shock is a bottom mount. like the roadstar . wht do you say Rich?

10. Boon says:

It`s the mutes nuts take some licking the best bike on this site so far you nailed it.

11. Jack Gilbert says:

Where did you get the soft tail frame? Did you build it or buy it?